• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Packard Bell 10 MHz NEC V20 with ATI Small Wonder card

vwestlife

Veteran Member
For sale: vintage Packard Bell PB 500 "Turbo XT" clone, as seen in this video:

Since making that video, I have upgraded it with a 10 MHz NEC V20 chip and a 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive (currently functional as a 720K drive, but you can add a high-density floppy controller to use 1.44MB disks). I can also reinstall the original 5.25" 360K drive if you prefer.

I also replaced the battery for the real-time clock, although my generic TIMER.COM driver doesn't recognize it. Maybe there is a special Packard Bell clock driver.

The Seagate ST-225 hard drive works perfectly and has Packard Bell MS-DOS 3.3 installed.

It has an ATI "Small Wonder" video card, which supports CGA, Hercules/MDA, Plantronics, and ATI's own special 16-color 320x200 and 640x200 graphics modes. It can even emulate Hercules/MDA on a CGA monitor, or vice versa, with surprisingly good results!

Comes with the original Packard Bell 84-key keyboard.

Asking $50 OBO plus shipping. That pretty much just covers my cost of acquiring the computer and doing the upgrades, so I'm not making any real profit on it. But I have one too many vintage PCs, so it has to go!

USPS Parcel Post will probably be the most cost-effective for U.S. addresses. I can ship to Canada or overseas, but it will be expensive.

Nice little system here VWest. I wouldn't mind haveing a "Compact XT" but funds are short and I think AII beat me to it anyway. Good luck with the sell.

Learned dos on these machines in middle school
figured it would be neat to have one again, pop the NE1000 Card in it and put it online

How much for it? I'd say 35-40 dollars without monitor, I could find a cheap IBM 5153 or Tandy CM5 somewhere. Do you have a CGA monitor to sell?

Still available. All reasonable offers will be accepted!

I can also substitute a VGA card if you prefer it instead of CGA/Hercules.

Interestingly I can't find much history on Packard Bell models. Any idea or does anyone know of a list of their models in chronological order?

Unless somewhere else on the internet, Archive.org only provides PBs web site from around 1996 and up, so that leaves off all the older models.

HEH this pc is almost an exact copy of my samsung spc-3000v, same case, same keyboard turbo key combination, mobo jumper in the same place, keyboard connector in the same place even fdd and power connector in the same place.

Even the exact same cpu.

Still available. Make me an offer, I'm flexible!

I also found a high-density floppy controller, so now the 3.5" drive will be equipped to work at its full 1.44 MB capacity! :)

Last edited:
Asking $40 or best offer... or ANY offer... your choice of either the ATI CGA card or a VGA card installed!

I also replaced the battery for the real-time clock, although my generic TIMER.COM driver doesn't recognize it. Maybe there is a special Packard Bell clock driver.

I know you sold this and I'm necro-posting but I was crusing the Packard Bell archives and saw this:

st.com Set Time Utility for PB88/8810

Sadly, the file is not archived, but maybe that's what this computer needed?

http://web.archive.org/web/19970529172654/http://support.packardbell.com/ftp/other.asp

Back