• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello everybody! Does this look familiar to anybody?

1. Double-click on the image file without a floppy in the drive.
2. It will notify that there isn't a floppy disk present.
3. Insert a floppy disk in the drive.
4. Click "Retry" and see if it works. If it doesn't, you may have to click Retry 2-3 times.

Yes i did that. Formatted both a mac and pc floppy. Neither worked. Got the same error on both. tried 3 different floppy drives. All floppys performed the same showing the same error. Tried moving the tab on the floppy disks. Im going to try to use XP later on an old dell i have that has a 3.5 floppy drive. If that doesnt work im going to clean them up, and post them on this site or Ebay I also have some old clicky 5 pin keyboards that are going as well. thanks for everybody's help trying to get me up and going.

For that self-extractor I used Windows 2000, but yeah anything newer than XP it could easily have trouble. I have a few commercial programs I still use which I have to start with "Run as Administrator" for them to load resources properly - just because they came out before Vista/7.

I finally got the dos written to the 3.5 floppy. Now trying to figure out how to put it onto my 386. Bios problems recognizing the HDDs still...

Does DOS on the floppy boot the system correctly? Even if you can't see the HDD yet, you can test both floppy drives to see if they work.

well it does boot with the disk. Then it asks for A:/ commands. Of course I dont know the commands but I tried FDISK. It said it couldnt find a drive

DIR will list the files on disk.
DIR B: should list the files on a floppy in the other drive. So if you have a 5.25" diskette without valuable data, insert it and see if it can be read. Why use an expendable diskette first? It is possible that the drive suffered damage and might wreck the disk.

What's that Stac Electronics card? Some kind of hardware implementation of the Stacker disk compression? If so, that has to be pretty... dare I say it... rare? :D

What's that Stac Electronics card? Some kind of hardware implementation of the Stacker disk compression? If so, that has to be pretty... dare I say it... rare? :D

Yes. Have to check the exact model but cards that handled compression were part of Stac's product line. Mildly rare, I think with many thousands produced putting it in the same rarity as Insite Flopticals. Not much use without the drivers though.

Anyone remember if Stac cards prevented DOS from seeing the physical hard disk?

Yes. Have to check the exact model but cards that handled compression were part of Stac's product line. Mildly rare, I think with many thousands produced putting it in the same rarity as Insite Flopticals. Not much use without the drivers though.

Anyone remember if Stac cards prevented DOS from seeing the physical hard disk?

That is interesting! I've never seen or even read about these things. I wonder how it compares to a software-only solution performance wise? Or, put another way, how fast would the CPU have to be to outperform it?

That is interesting! I've never seen or even read about these things. I wonder how it compares to a software-only solution performance wise? Or, put another way, how fast would the CPU have to be to outperform it?

I think the faster 486s outperformed the card. 80286 systems were often fast enough to handle slightly simpler compression which meant that only a narrow spectrum of users benefitted from the card.

I have a 486 machine and it has the bios limit of 500mb hdd. what i did was either auto or user 16/63/1024 . I was able to install 2 hdd of 4gb each but computer only sees them as 500mb each.
Alternatively you could use a DDO to be able to get access to the full size of the drive(s).

Back