• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: Citizen Mate/12 (12Mhz 286 with built-in EGA)

Trixter

Veteran Member
Up for sale is a Citizen Mate/12 which is a 12Mhz 286 with built-in EGA, in perfect working order, including the hard drive. Very good cosmetic condition.

One catch -- and it's a big one -- the embedded EGA cannot be disabled. This means the lucky owner must have an EGA monitor they can connect to this system (or use an "EGA to VGA" arcade converter or something, although I've never used one of those.) I suppose another option is to put in a monochrome board and use a monochrome monitor with it.

Dimensions and weight are: 14"x23"x23" = girth is 92". Weight is 34 pounds. Will be shipped in its original box and packing.

I am in Illinois, USA. Some sample shipping prices to, just for the hell of it, Rochester, NY (zipcode 14607):

USPS:
Parcel Post, $20.49 (I find this hard to believe, I might have calculated it wrong),
Priority Mail, $39.15

Fed Ex:
Fed Ex Ground (residential address): $29.66

UPS:
UPS Ground residential: $33.46

Actual shipping prices to your location will have to be calculating. "Make me an offer!"

Not sure; didn't try. I know it boots up in regular 350-line text mode; if you wrote a program to go down to 200-line after bootup, that might work. But I haven't tested it and have no plans to.

Sure, try this: https://plus.google.com/photos/1142...s/5835724442885085921?authkey=CObAiqLbhbbtxwE

If the photos are not visible, let me know. Picasa/Google+ sharing can be squirrely.

I confirmed it works perfectly (sometimes you have to press the reset button after powerup but it does boot every time). Unfortunately, without an EGA monitor, the BIOS SETUP isn't readable (on my CGA monitor) which means I can't repopulate the hard drive table, so I can't tell you what's on the hard drive. It pauses on bootup waiting for the F1 key; hit it and it boots. This is typical of 286s when the CMOS setup info is gone.

I wasn't able to find the difference between the Basic and Basic Plus, but the difference between the Basic Plus and the Deluxe is that the Basic Plus has a 32MB drive while the Deluxe has a 40MB drive. ("Deluxe" indeed, heh)

The model for sale is a Basic Plus so without taking the drive out I'm guessing it's a 32MB RLL drive.

I need to get this out of the house and I doubt I'll find a functional EGA monitor in my lifetime, so anyone with a functional EGA monitor can enjoy this for the cost of shipping + gas to the USPS.

Would it work if you put a VGA card in?

edit: nevermind, looks like USPS would charge $27.61

Last edited:
You could put a mono card in it, but there's no way to tell the system to treat the mono card as primary. So you still need an EGA monitor to get into the CMOS setup and set the HD type, set the time, etc.

Back