• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIgs design

HoJoPo

Veteran Member
I just assembled a ROM 0 IIgs from spare parts, including the appropriate "Woz" edition case, power supply, and mainboard. This has to be one of the easiest to assemble machines I've ever seen, taking less than a minute from components to assembled.

All in all, once of the simplest designs I've ever worked with in my 30 years of using computers.

Is there anything else of similar ease to assemble?

I often marvel at the design of the IIGS. You can disassemble/assemble it in no time flat and it requires absolutely zero tools - not even a screwdriver!

My first modem, a Racal Vadic 300/1200 baud dial up unit, is held together with a single screw and the whole thing snaps together neatly in layers. Pretty slick design. Or are we just talking Apple hardware here?

Most of the IBM PS/2 series especially the Model 50 & 70 only 2 screws to remove the case top.
...and those screws were knurled (as I recall) so that you could undo them by hand. And of course all of the boards, risers, and power supply once inside were tool-less.

The IIGS is easy to take apart, but they really should've designed it to accomodate at least one built-in disk drive. In fact, it was probably one of the last new computers to not come with a built-in drive.

The IIGS is easy to take apart, but they really should've designed it to accomodate at least one built-in disk drive. In fact, it was probably one of the last new computers to not come with a built-in drive.

Had the II line not ended, the next IIgs would have surely had a built-in drive, just look to the "Mark Twain" IIgs prototype with its built-in 3.5" floppy drive (and hard disk on built in SCSI).

Back