• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for CPU upgrade adapters

Frans

Hello,

Searching for the following CPU upgrade adapters new or in good working condition with or without CPU, heatsink and fan.

1. One adapter for socket 7 such as PowerLeap PL-PRO/MMX V6.0
or PowerLeap PL-PRO/MMX Plus
will consider other adapter makes or models.

2. One adapter for socket 370 to convert FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 for Intel Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4GHz support,
such as PowerLeap PL-370/T
or FC-PGA2 Tualatin CPU Adapter
or G370
will consider other adapter makes or models.

I'm new to this site and still not sure how to go about some things so please be patient as I'm slow with some things.

Anyway details and possibly pictures would assist.

Thanks to all.

i was looking for this kind of adapter for a while (Slot-1 to Socket 370) but then i noticed the support on my board only go up to 600-700Mhz for the CPUs, while the pure Slot-1 ones support on my board go up to a 1Ghz (Asus P3B-F, with latest 1008.4 BETA bios). So i got a P3 800Mhz on it now :)

i was looking for this kind of adapter for a while (Slot-1 to Socket 370) but then i noticed the support on my board only go up to 600-700Mhz for the CPUs, while the pure Slot-1 ones support on my board go up to a 1Ghz (Asus P3B-F, with latest 1008.4 BETA bios). So i got a P3 800Mhz on it now :)

I'm not well informed on slot-1 motherboards so I can't comment much but I believe similar limitations apply to both slot-1 and socket 370 motherboards. I feel that both the motherboard and BIOS need to support the CPU specifications, such as voltage, frequency and multiplier. Some time ago I came across some slot-1 upgrade kits still available for sale.

I have an ASUS CUSL2 it's a socket 370 FC-PGA (not slot-1) and it's a PIII motherboard. As you say it has it's CPU limits. Intel produced different types of socket 370 CPU's and for my board it's not possible to use the latest FC-PGA2 CPU (which is also 370 pin) because it's not supported. It does however meet voltage, frequency and multiplier requirements but although it's still 370 pins some pin assignments are different from the FC-PGA. Also an FC-PGA CPU Lithography is 180 nm while the Tualatin FC-PGA2 CPU Lithography is 130 nm (above 1GHz, as some Tualatin 1GHz use the same Lithography as FC-PGA, these are the early versions of Tualatin). In a nutshell due to different pin assignments it will not be possible to use an FC-PGA2 CPU in a FC-PGA 370 pin socket. The Lithography among other CPU aspects indicates if it can be used in an FC-PGA socket or not.

However if the motherboard can meet the multiplier and bus frequency required 133MHz for the Tualatin (also VlD voltage e.g. 1.5V depending on the adapter used as some adapters provide a separate VID supply) with an adapter a faster CPU can be used. In my case with the right CPU adapter I should reach 1.4GHz without any problems.

The ASUS list of supported CPU's for the P3B-F lists Celeron 1100MHz (socket 370 with S370-DL) and PIII-900MHz (slot-1) and maybe a faster CPU with a slot-1 upgrade. One important thing to remember if you want to achieve better performance from an old system is the best and maximum RAM installed combined with a good graphics card. Also depends on how much you would like to spend on an old system.

Following is a link to ASUS CPU support for your motherboard.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P3B-F&p=1

Hope I have been of some help.

UPDATE

Still looking for the following CPU upgrade adapters new or used in good working condition with or without CPU, heatsink and fan.

Socket 7 adapter - PowerLeap PL-PRO/MMX V6.0, or PowerLeap PL-PRO/MMX Plus V4.0 or later, or PowerLeap PL-K6-III V3.0 or later.

Socket 370 adapter from FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 for Intel Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4GHz-S support, PowerLeap PL-370/T V2.1.

Please give details, photos and price.

Back