• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: Kingston Blue Lightning Processor Upgrade Kit for IBM Model 70

irishmike

Experienced Member
Hi all:

You guys that have been following my other postings on my personal IBM Model 70 already know I am seeking one of these, but I decided to go official.

Looking to buy or trade for a Kingston Blue Lightning Processor upgrade kit for my IBM Model 70. This IIRC will take my machine from a 386 to a 486. I have not determined this yet, but may need a motherboard for my machine anyhow, so if you have a motherboard with the kit already on board in working condition and so forth, I would like to talk.

Right now, what I have available for trade is sketchy, but I do have a few items that might be noteworthy such as my Apple II Super Serial Card which was pulled from an A2e I sold a year ago. I have a few other things, but I would also negotiate a reasonable amount for this kit for just "cash" as well.

Please advise if you can help. Been looking on eBay and no luck finding the kit. Went to Kingston's site and found it but of course you can not buy it any more. It is there for archival reasons. PM me if you can help.

Looks like it's just a chip upgrade - remove the 386, pop in Lightning 486.

I found an advert in Infoworld and a list of other upgrade options here.

I have IBM FRU 92F0436, pictured installed in an 8570 here, referenced by forum member Cimvong here, and by forum member Iconclass here. It plugs into the 8570's 386 socket using a pass-through socket (to raise it a bit higher) and turns the system into a 486DX-33 (the Intel chip is on-board)

Interestingly enough, my two kits came with badge stickers with the familiar PS/2 logo stating "PS/2 Model 70 486" - rather cool. Still would like to find the official upgrade planar for my 8570-A21 model :)

I think there is a daughter board that goes between the 386 socket and the 486 chip... I also think there is a piece that is called a "compatibility plug" that IIRC goes into the 387 socket. I wish I knew what was actually in the kit, but if it is just as simple as plug in the lightning 486, I know I can find the processor itself on eBay... saw one the other day. But my suspicion is that there is more to the kit.

Back