• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

apple IIgs fits in a II plus case?

ebaybrad1

Experienced Member
Anyone know if the guts of a IIgs might fit (with some mods) into a ii plus case? I have an empty one and was thinking about this project.

Yes, with modifications to the case, so that the rear ports are accessible.

Steven Buggie did a "stealth" IIe to IIgs upgrade using a hacksaw to modify the IIe base plate in Juiced.GS magazine Volume 2 Issue 2, Spring 1997.

II+ keyboard would be useless. No place to plug into the gs. Just would have to use the IIgs keyboard. Would look odd. The iigs will work with the keyboard of a IIe because it has the solder points for it.

Fit? Yes.. BUT why destroy a II+ case? The II+ case has some value which would be lost if modified. Get a cheap IIe case which has little value to collectors. My 2 cents worth.

Fit? Yes.. BUT why destroy a II+ case? The II+ case has some value which would be lost if modified. Get a cheap IIe case which has little value to collectors. My 2 cents worth.

Agreed, even with supplies dwindling, the IIe was the most mass produced Apple II in history, it was in production from what? 1983 up till 1993. There are thousands still out there in the wild.

Since there was an official upgrade path from IIe to IIgs, there is very little work involved with sticking a IIgs board in a IIe case. Keyboard and PowerSupply all mate up fine, only problem without the "upgrade" base pan is the ports don't line up, but a hacksaw or dremel will quickly resolve that.

If you have a ][+ you should be able to sell just its case for well more than a IIe would cost you (IIe's routinely sell for less than $40 on ebay). Heck if its keyboard works, I would pay you more than the cost of a IIe for a working Plus keyboard, about 90% of my keys are done for, I have tried the "folk fixes" (repeatedly press the keys, etc..), and none of them have helped, mine appears to need most the key-switches replaced (I can still use my ][+ with my Briel SuperEncoder with external PS/2 Keyboard port, but its not the same).

Just to lend some clarity here...

IIgs_Upgrade.JPG

The IIe -> IIgs upgrade consists of a new base pan (which has the IIgs ports on the back), a ROM01 motherboard with the IIe power, Keyboard, and Keypad connectors soldered on, and a pair of new lid badges.

IIgs_Upgrade-backview.JPG

With a ROM01 board (even if it comes without the connectors soldered), you can hack up a IIe base pan to do this...

But a II+? 1) Why ruin a perfectly good II+ case? 2) The internal keyboard will likely never work, it doesn't use the same methods as the IIe keyboard. Much custom stuff would be required there, and then 3) even if you did get the internal keyboard to work, you'd still have to use joystick or external keyboard to control-option-reset to get into the control panel.

Back