• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Legacy Windows 95 Video Games

Caferick

I have 300 video games for a windows 95 computer with storage machines. I also have 50 other Cds that are travel logs to places across the world and other types of multimedia experiences. I was wondering what such a collection might be worth and which way would be the best to sell it. Whether All at once or by piece meal or to break it up into smaller lots of 50 cds a piece. The Cd's are in the carousel/filling/storage units(DACAL CD LIBRARIES). The instructions and original packaging would be available upon purchase. The carousels would be sold separately at around $60.00 a piece or maybe thrown in with the rest if a good price was offered.

I can vouch for him. He lives in Bristol, PA and the Dacal CD things are sweet-looking. They sorta look like the Robot's head from Lost in Space. :D

If you've boxes and manuals for the games, pull them out of your libraries and list them individually on ebay starting at either 0.99 or 2.99. Go higher, and your commons just won't sell at all. Go lower and you risk having all of your commons go for 99 cents meaning that you make about a quarter per unit. That said... starting low is the best way to ensure that bidwars erupt on your items, and its in bidwars where the money is at, especially if you've any rare/desirable games.

So far as the carousels, I couldn't say. I'm unfamiliar with them. Only the general rule on ebay that when you list your item at a high starting bid, you automatically eliminate a lost of prosepective bidders who are looking for a deal - far better to start at 0.99 and place a reasonable reserve on the item in question.

far better to start at 0.99 and place a reasonable reserve on the item in question.

I wonder about that. To me, the reserve system is a stupid game, and it's one I refuse to play. If I see the "reserve not met" line, I won't even bother to read any further in the listing, much less actually bid on it. Tab gets closed, I move on... and maybe add the seller to my search exclusion list if they have a lot of listings like that.

And I can't imagine I'm alone in that sentiment.

The "best" way to sell depends on if you want to get rid of everything quickly or make the most money. I also hate "reserve"...I would list with the BIN price you want to get, with the option to accept lower offers. Bidding wars only work if it's a popular item anyway. If you have some obscure games there might only be one person interested.

You both have valid points, but how many "offers" have you seen where they were all expired, and the seller obviously doesn't even respond? or worse, 10 offers, all declined? - seeing offer turns me off as quickly as "reserve not met" does you guys. That said, I'm a fan of putting a reserve, then making the first line of the description spelled out what the reserve is - and insuring that it's fair with regards to true market value. I'm not looking to give away my stuff, but I'm not necessarily out to make a killing over it either, and especially not to over-value it.

Anyways... to each his own. I've been playing the eBay game since 1998 and have seen and done it all on there... Bidding wars can come up at any time on the most unlikely of items, often even if there are similar listings that are cheaper and more complete. Ultimately, if you're looking to unload things quickly, by all means start at 0.99 with no reserve and let 'em go. If you're looking to take minimums, start the bidding at the minimum that you want or list a reserve. If you're looking for a set price and only a set price, forgo the auction format altogether and use BIN. ANY method is likely to piss of some buyer, who will boycott you just for spite. But the buyer that just wants the item and doesn't care about these insignificant details will always bid regardless.

The main thing is to be CLEAR in your description of the item, and to put lots of quality pictures of the item. If you don't want to pay ebay to do that, check out Jpegbay.com - they're free, and circumvent the ebay picture limit.

What is the point of setting a reserve and then telling what it is? Easier to just start the auction at that price. As a buyer I find that insulting. "Yeah I started the auction at 0.99 to trick you into clicking on it, but the bidding really starts at this price"...blah

About 3 out of 4 times when I make a reasonable offer on an item the seller accepts. If not, and I really want the item, I can always BIN.

Back