• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted : Cyrix 386 to 486 upgrade chip or similiar for 386sx

limboy777

Experienced Member
Hi I am looking to upgrade a 386 sx to 486. If anyone has any upgrade chip that clips on top, then please let me know.

Also if there is any chips to upgrade a 486 slc 33

Lots of people looking for these... there's at least 3 regulars in "line" prior to this post.

Personally, while I'm not after one, I'd certainly grab one if I saw it. I haven't seen one in years :(

I think I might have one of those 'evergreen' CPUs... but Id have to take a look.
Will edit this entry after work.

I'd like to get my hands on one of those Cyrix upgrade clip-ons for a 386sx that is 20/40 internally clock doubled and try to solder it onto the motherboard as a direct replacement for the Cx486SLC-20 that is in a Tandy 3800 HD laptop. Since they are pin identical, with the exception of the internal clock doubling, in theory, it should work, and allow a decent speed boost.

I used to have a few systems with these in them. Long before they were considered "collectible", they were given away.

As I recall, they weren't as performant as a true 486 system.

The same could be said for the AMD 586 conversion setups I had, where you'd take a 486DX board and lay this AMD "pentium" chip in place of the 486, and voila, a Pentium machine that performed like a 486!

Back