• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MSDOS 6.22 and Win 1.01 or Win 2.11?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
I have a sweet 10mhz laptop that I have been playing around with. With Dos 5 installed I can install and run Windows 1.01 and Windows 2.11 without issue. With Dos 6.22 or Dos 7.10 installed neither version of Windows will run. The startup screen will show (that says Windows X.XX) and that's where it will hang.

Is it not possible to run Dos 6.22 or newer with these older versions of Windows?

Right now I have Dos 5 with Win 1.01, 2.11 and 3.1 all running ok. It seems like Dos 6.22 would be the way to go but would it benefit anything?

The only reason to run DOS 6.22 instead of DOS 5 is if you want to use MS branded disk compression. With a laptop, especially with as much stuff as seem to be installing, it might be a helpful option.

The only reason to run DOS 6.22 instead of DOS 5 is if you want to use MS branded disk compression. With a laptop, especially with as much stuff as seem to be installing, it might be a helpful option.
I prefer DOS 6.22 because of it's memory management features - memaker is brilliant.
You also get the selective boot menu and the keys to bypass your startup files.

Although the memory management etc etc is mostly useless on XT's etc

I prefer DOS 6.22 because of it's memory management features - memaker is brilliant.
You also get the selective boot menu and the keys to bypass your startup files.

Although the memory management etc etc is mostly useless on XT's etc

You should try IBM's PC DOS 7.0 / 2000. Even without moving anything into upper or high memory, it uses less RAM than any version of DOS since 3.3 -- great if you want a more modern DOS than 3.3 for XT-class systems, while still leaving plenty of that precious 640K free for your programs.

Back