• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Mouse Driver for Windows 3.11?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
Now that my internal mouse has crapped out I thought I would try a ps/2 mouse. I dug out this old compaq 2 button mouse from around 1996ish. First I plugged it up into a Win95 laptop and it works fine. Next I plug it into this old beast and in Win 3.11 nothing.... I ran windows\setup and tried choosing various mice there, like the Microsoft/IBM PS/2 mouse. Back into windows....nothing.

I dug around and found people recommending this mouse901.exe. I unpacked that and ran it and it did not find a mouse.

Finally I checked in the bios to make sure there wasn't some option where the ps/2 was turned off, didn't find anything.

So is there some generic mouse driver that I should try for a ps/2 mouse or is it more probable that my ps/2 port is broken?

Win 3.11 works for me with every PS/2 mouse I have ever tried. It is possible your PS/2 port has failed but there are a few other things to check. Which computer are you using for this? Some details might suggest a different but less obvious problem.

Boot to DOS and run MSD. MSD might be able to see the mouse which would suggest you have a driver conflict.

Have you disabled the internal mouse? Is the PS/2 mouse plugged into any type of adapter or power splitter? Double check that the connect is a mouse port not the keyboard port (if the system is a laptop).

It is a Midwest Micro Elite TS34X. It has a 386 or 486 40mhz. On the side is a vga/serial/ps2 (or keyboard)/parallel. There is no picture so I cant be for sure which it is. Tomorrow I'll dig out a keyboard and try it.

When I plug the mouse in, in dos or windows, the PC beeps. So it must know that something is there. There is no splitter.

I went into the bois and changed a setting that says Trackball/COM2 to COM1/Modem. I guess that would disable it, the choices were like Com1/modem - trackball/modem - trackball/com2.

I ran MSD and it said no mouse. That's the same thing that the mouse901.exe program said too.

Amazing call, it is a keyboard port! What a bummer. I guess I'll be picking up a $5 PS/2 to Serial adapter from Amazon for $5. Much cheaper than a serial mouse.

The adapter is $5 with 2 day amazon prime shipping. :)

Back