• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

...and suddenly, a big explosion and a white smoke....

giobbi

Veteran Member
...I'm sure with this title everybody will read the post :D

>>> Dave, Mike, don't worry: it wasn't the 3032! ;-)

The fact: I was trying to fix a minor issue on my spare 8032-sk. I programmed a flashROM for the Nicolas Welte's RAM/ROM adapter and, since the instructions talk just about PET 2001 and PET 2001/N, I was wondering if it is compatible with the 8032 model too.

I switched on the computer and in totally relaxed and zen state of mind I was trying to look at the monitor (an opened 8032-sk has the crt towards the desk so you have to duck to see it). Few seconds later an explosion make me jump some meters far from it, scared, and a white smoke started to exit from the computer. It was a big "boomm!", definitely!

The first, irrational thought was: "well, it isn't compatible, indeed!" :D

When I disconnected the plug from the outlet I looked at the board, expecting to find it totally burnt. Nope. Clean and cold. Some smoke seemed to arrive from inside the monitor, so I opened it but it was all clean, too. The traf was cold and apparently clean, too.
Then I find something like a small capacitor close the interruptor and the fuse-holder that was black and smoky (I'm not talking about the big capacitor on the secondary line).

I looked at the schematics from Zimmers.net, but there's no trace of this component. However it is an original component put by Commodore, indeed; or, at least, all point in that direction: the way it is installed, the presence of a connector for it, etc.). So I cleaned it and I discovered it should be a line filter: 0,1 uF + 2x2500pF x2 (? - the "x2" is almost deleted so I'm not sure) + 2 x 100 uH - 250v.

Since this computer was built in West Germany for the european market (220v - 50 Hz), maybe they added this... filter? for some reason.

Nice part: nothing more seems to be damaged: even the fuse is still good! And the blowed filter is in series with it!

Here in Brazil we have 110v and 220v @ 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz; until now, however, nothing I took from Europe reacted so bad to the different frequency :)

Questions:

- Does anybody has seen something like that in the past?
- Could be depend from some other cause?
- What should I do before to switch the computer on again?
- Will it work fine without this filter, since not even the original project mention it?

-- Giovi

A common problem; those are line filters between the AC lines (type X) and/or to ground (type Y) and quite often explode spectacularly (probably Rifa?). Just old age and possibly poor original design/construction, nothing to do with line frequency etc.

Google 'exploding Rifa caps'

You can leave it (them) out; if you replace them you should use the special X2 type.

An interesting discussion of line filter caps (scroll down):

http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html

Last edited:
A common problem; those are line filters between the AC lines (type X) and/or to ground (type Y) and quite often explode spectacularly (probably Rifa?). Just old age and possibly poor original design/construction, nothing to do with line frequency etc.

Google 'exploding Rifa caps'

You can leave it (them) out; if you replace them you should use the special X2 type.

An interesting discussion of line filter caps (scroll down):

http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html

Ok, I connected line without filter, it works fine (issue aside...).

Interensting link indeed, I'm reading it, thank you!

----------------EDIT----------------
I googled it, look at the first result from big-G!

and suddenly, a big explosion and a white smoke. - Erik S. Klein's ...www.vintage-computer.com › ... › Commodore - Traduci questa pagina
17 ore fa - 2 post - 2 autori
and quite often explode spectacularly. Google 'exploding Rifa caps' You can leave it (them) out; if you replace them you should use the special ...

The Google spider is quite efficient! :)

Last edited:
One of the most common, spectacular, and usually most harmless component failures. I've had this happen on a printer and on an oscilloscope as well as on computer PSUs. The device will usually function without that capacitor, but I recommend you replace it. Its function is to filter the large spike you will get each time you switch the mains current on, or if the switch sparks while switching off. Usually harmless, but better to protect against it.

Use the same spec capacitor as the original. I once put in a larger capacitor that I had available (bigger=better, right?), but that led to blowing the power fuses on the device because of the higher inrush current when power was switched on.

Rick

Back