• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old IBM 5151 sure can take a licking...

Goodness that is a mess. Do the inards function ok?

I guess one of those small bench top stoves could be repurposed as a shell of it all fall to pieces ;)

Last edited:
I'd imagine disassembling a u/s one wouldn't take too long at all. Certainly less than an hour. The thing about shipping is the cubic capacity gets taken into account as well and you'd deffinately want the insides of the shell well packed to prevent crushing.

I'd imagine disassembling a u/s one wouldn't take too long at all. Certainly less than an hour. The thing about shipping is the cubic capacity gets taken into account as well and you'd deffinately want the insides of the shell well packed to prevent crushing.

Now that I see how these are put together, I think it is about a 10 minute job to completely gut one. There are 2 issues though... when you pop the square screw covers out of the top, you must pop them from the front or you will break the tabs off and even then there is probably a 50% chance that you will break off the tabs anyway. These could always be glued in. The second thing is how tight the screws are. the 4 large screws holding the monitor to the front plastic bezel are in tight enough that the plastic could break in a spiral fracture... the same is true for the 2 medium sized screws attaching the knobs to the front plastic bezel. The rest of the screws are into metal and are easy to remove.

I had even warned the seller about the last one that I had purchased and asked him to take extra precautions when shipping. He simply stuffed plastic grocery bags around it... WTF????

When I ship a monitor, I have a very simple process: Buy $12 of large-bubble bubblewrap, then wrap it around the monitor until it's at least 6 inches thick around all six sides, taping as necessary to remain secure. Then I put it in a box. That's it. That's all I do and I've never had a monitor arrive in pieces.

I don't understand why sellers don't value $12 over the time and hassle of dealing with a pissed-off customer and broken merchandise. My time is worth a hell of a lot more than $12.

Last edited:
When I ship a monitor, I have a very simple process: Buy $12 of large-bubble bubblewrap, then wrap it around the monitor until it's at least 6 inches thick around all six sides, taping as necessary to remain secure. Then I put it in a box. That's it. That's all I do and I've never had a monitor arrive in pieces.

I don't understand why sellers value $12 over the time and hassle of dealing with a pissed-off customer and broken merchandise. My time is worth a hell of a lot more than $12.

Hell yeah! Bubble wrap!! I ended up with 2 of these broken 5151 monitors for a grand total of $0. The seller/shipper is out the monitor as well as the cost of shipping it to me. I warned them both too and still got one shipped with flat newspaper and magazines, and the other shipped with a handful of plastic grocery bags and misc rubbish. Now I have total investment of $4 for the gorilla glue and a few hours of time into these and they are going to be the pride of my collection. No monitor in my collection will ever be as big a conversation piece as my FrankenMonitor.... it's coming right along...

P7121019.jpg

I warned them both too and still got one shipped with flat newspaper and magazines, and the other shipped with a handful of plastic grocery bags and misc rubbish.
The secret is lots of tightly crumpled newspaper. It's springy and very protective. Crumpled heavy brown paper works very well too.

The secret is lots of tightly crumpled newspaper. It's springy and very protective.

Until it gets wet.

At the USPS it is considered normal and within tolerance to have all packages drop up to 4 feet vertically as packages are routed among conveyor belts and into bins. I don't think a brittle plastic & glass monitor is going to survive a 4-foot drop surrounded only by tightly crumpled newspaper.

All this talk of paper and bubble wrap, your all forgetting 2 things, the original foam packing, if available, and believe it or not. Old couch cushions cut to fit very tightly around the item, which is packed in a thin to moderate layer of foam or bubble wrap, use an esd bag if you have it available, make sure the couch cushion is a VERY tight fit in the box. tape the box securely and off it goes. For some reason, the couch cushions, being what they are, take abuse vERY well. This could even be done with a monitor, i have never had to ship a monitor but that's probably how to do it. Oh and never, EVER let the UPS Store do the packing for you. it's hit or miss....

Old couch cushions cut to fit very tightly around the item,

My wife would definitely have a talk with me after doing that. I'd only be able to ship two or three things before I'd be out of packing material. ;-) The talk of the styrofoam, bubble wrap does make me wonder though. That's a pretty significant cost to the shipper too ($12 out of the profit) unless you charge for packing materials, but yes it's a complete waste to both parties just to have it get broken by poor shipping etiquette.

At the USPS it is considered normal and within tolerance to have all packages drop up to 4 feet vertically as packages are routed among conveyor belts and into bins. I don't think a brittle plastic & glass monitor is going to survive a 4-foot drop surrounded only by tightly crumpled newspaper.
Did I say USPS? I thought I said FedEx. :) Did I also mention there has been a 100% success rate shipping 40 pound multisyncs? I'd say the facts speak for themselves regardless of what you might 'think' about this situation. :)

If you don't ship alot of things, or very big things, one cusion can last a while, and best part is, you don't have to buy any packing materials, as there is always someone who has an old couch.... As long as the cushions had anything bad done to them,, your golden...

My wife would definitely have a talk with me after doing that. I'd only be able to ship two or three things before I'd be out of packing material. ;-) The talk of the styrofoam, bubble wrap does make me wonder though. That's a pretty significant cost to the shipper too ($12 out of the profit) unless you charge for packing materials, but yes it's a complete waste to both parties just to have it get broken by poor shipping etiquette.

I say again... if you're wanting to sell something for a profit, you have to be willing to put at least a little work into it. This is where proper packing materials come into play. It's not hard to go by your local Walmart and ask for boxes. Or to hit them up for the Styrofoam that they normally throw away. Or to pull old couch cushions from those left on the side of the road on trash day ;)

Seriously... it's just a bit of time and caring that your item arrives in good shape.

I'm lucky enough that I work for a company that receives packages with electronic equipment all the time. I can usually find a box to fit whatever I need within a week of looking, with all the bubble wrap and packing peanuts that I want. - and guess what? It would've all been thrown out otherwise. (i.e. don't be afraid to setup a rapport with local businesses that receive stuff - offer to buy their packaging materials from them - you might be surprised how cheaply they'll let it go for)

Last edited:
If you don't ship alot of things, or very big things, one cusion can last a while, and best part is, you don't have to buy any packing materials, as there is always someone who has an old couch.... As long as the cushions had anything bad done to them,, your golden...

I just received a disk drive that I bought from k2x4b524... I literally laughed when I opened the box and found it packed in couch cushion!!! hahahaha!! Arrived safe and sound!

P7151022.jpg

UPDATE on the 5151 FrankenMonitor: final assembly is tomorrow. It has taken days to put that sucker back together!

There is definately hope for this broken case. If it's ABS it should be fairly easy to deal with, so being a scale modeller I would tackle it like this:
Firstly check to see if all the the larger shards weren't lost, then strip it right down and remove badges, bezels etc. Use liquid solvent cement (available at any local hobby shop) to glue it back together. Just work on a piece at a time so each join has plenty of time to dry. The inside of the case can be reinforced with strips of styrene such as Evergreen (at LHS) if needed. Any tiny gaps can be filled with modelling putty such as Milliput (LHS again) and sanded. After a cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, a respray with the right enamel (LHS or auto supply store) and reassembly and then it would look pretty good.

UPDATE on the 5151 FrankenMonitor: final assembly is tomorrow. It has taken days to put that sucker back together!
I just realized that I have a 5151 that probably needs a flyback transformer. If you want I could send you the case. It wouldn't be heavy without the guts so it would be reasonable to ship. :)

I just realized that I have a 5151 that probably needs a flyback transformer. If you want I could send you the case. It wouldn't be heavy without the guts so it would be reasonable to ship. :)

Can you please let me know how much you would like including shipping? I will use a commercial address to further reduce ship costs....

PM sent!!

here is a before and after side by side...
P6070841.jpgP7161023.jpg

Back