• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ISA XT Sound card list

fmartine

hi , i need a complete list of ISA XT 8 bit sound card sound blaster compatible, i know that exists also some EISA AT sound card that works also on XT machines, any one know a list of them? thanks for your time

Just a heads up, AT cards aren't EISA, just 16 bit ISA.
EISA is 32bit and was around in the 386/486 era and you don't really see it very often - usually used for high performance applications e.g. 100mbit network or SCSI

Most ISA sound cards will work, a 16 bit Sound Blaster Pro is a common choice, for collectors the 8bit Adlib (not SB compat, but lots of old games had support) or SoundBlaster 2.0 cards would be more fitting. I'd look for one that is configured using jumpers so you don't need to worry about software being 8088 compatible.

i already tested a sound blaster 16 isa xt, it works only with NECV30 CPU, with my 8086 Intel i have problems.... i need another brand of sound cards, but tested on xt isa!

You need an 8-bit card, not a 16-bit card. And, FWIW, all XTs are ISA. :)

xt sound card are very rare and expensive on ebay, i can't find them with a low price in italy, this is why i'm looking for an AT ISA sound card that works also on XT ISA slot,

i already tested a sound blaster 16 isa xt, it works only with NECV30 CPU, with my 8086 Intel i have problems.... i need another brand of sound cards, but tested on xt isa!
The 8 bit slot isn't the problem. It's the configuration software.
You want a model that uses physical jumpers, like the early SoundBlaster Pro which don't need software to configure them.

If you find a card on ebay etc, post a few links and we'll be able to say yes or no.
The most important thing you're looking for is configuration jumpers for the audio - address, IRQ, DMA etc (not CDROM jumpers, they don't matter)

Last edited:
Here is another thread discussing it: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/archive/index.php/t-35099.html
And here is a CT1740 card, cheap, SoundBlaster 16 that doesn't need diagnose.exe (you just set the jumpers and 8 bit sound etc will be perfect).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-I...mputing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c707beb86

NB: you will need to make sure IRQ is at 7 AND you wont be able to use that CDROM connector of course

thanks for the info,do you know where i can buy it for a low price ? I checked on ebay but it's expensive every where

I've gotten mine in the past just by keeping an eye on local sales (mostly online) usually for a dollar or so.
So keep looking or maybe post in the wanted section on here for a sound card that is configured with jumpers.

My only 8-bit ISA sound card is a Packard Bell OEM Aztech Sound Galaxy BX II, which is really just a Sound Blaster (2.0?) clone. Its OPL2 MIDI sounds a lot different than the OPL3 in newer sound cards, and it came with a neat little DOS MIDI file player:

What we really need is a hacked diagnose.exe that will run on 8088. Someone made a start on it, but it proved complicated and time consuming to disassemble.

I managed to get an 8-bit SB 1.0 clone, the ATI Stereo F/X, complete with CMS chips for $40 on eBay. There are a few on eBay now for $90, but mine was listed as $160 and the seller accepted my offer. The cards don't use hardware jumpers, but their setup program is 8086-compatible and worked without issues in my IBM Model 25.

thanks for the info,do you know where i can buy it for a low price ? I checked on ebay but it's expensive every where

Keep looking for any of the following:

• Pro Audio Spectrum (any)
  • Sound Blaster 1.0/1.5/2.0
  • Sound Blaster Pro (any)
  • Media Vision Thunderboard
These will work in an 8-bit ISA slot and an 8088 processor. If you don't need digital sound output and only want music and sound effects, an Adlib or clone will also work.

What we really need is a hacked diagnose.exe that will run on 8088. Someone made a start on it, but it proved complicated and time consuming to disassemble.

My RE skills have increased since then (I've been researching RealSound for an article and gotten more practice) so I decided to give it another shot yesterday. After a little work, I did a conservative estimate and it decided it would take me about an entire month to try to come up with a functional version, so I'm (still) abandoning the project. There are hundreds of ENTER/LEAVE combos to convert; it's just too much work for very little benefit as there is nothing that could actually USE a Sound Blaster 16 to full advantage on an 808x machine anyway. Nothing that can produce 44.1KHz 16-bit stereo sound (games, mod players) would run fast enough on such a machine.

do you sell it?

Next year, yes, but not right now. You really should check ebay again, it only takes about a week or so before you find one of the above cards at a reasonable price.

For sure, no. But I believe it does as I think the 16-bit portion of the card is only for the CDROM interface which you won't be using. At only 11 euro, you can afford to take a chance, right?

For sure, no. But I believe it does as I think the 16-bit portion of the card is only for the CDROM interface which you won't be using. At only 11 euro, you can afford to take a chance, right?

only 11 euro?!!? the real value is 1 euro max!! I also tested an Aztech AZT2330 chipset, it doesn't work.... i don't want to waste more money i need a 100% tested card on xt system

Back