• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy Plus Cards (Not ISA) wanted

HxEnthused

Interested in whether anyone has, or knows of where to find, Tandy plus cards suitable for tandy 1000 ex/hx... specifically in rs-232 or parallel port cards. Thanks!

Wow I did about a million searches and those didn't come up for me. Wonder what I was doing wrong. As for the first link posted above, that one is ISA, and mis-labelled as plus. Still, seriously bummed I didn't see that rs-232 listing. Didn't know the tandy part # before, maybe that was why I didn't find it. But I went so far as to look at every item with "tandy" in the "vintage computer" category, can't imagine missing it. yeesh.

...As for the first link posted above, that one is ISA, and mis-labelled as plus...

I know Tandy made an adapter to use Plus cards in ISA slots (Plus and ISA are electrically the same, just different connector), looks to me like that IS a Plus card, just with the ISA adapter attached, I could be wrong, cant be 100% certain without seeing the other side of that card.

I think my serial card came with the PLUS to ISA card adapter (the serial card should be in my 1000 HX). RadioShack should still have parts lists for all their old stuff online showing their part numbers.

A lot of IBM's early ISA cards have unused solder pads just above the card edge connector for what could've been a "PLUS card"-style connector. It makes me wonder if they had considered using a pin-type connector for the expansion slots, but decided to use a card edge connector instead.

618168f.JPG

617168b.JPG

Hi
Yes, the serial port ISA board is just like that modem. An ISA riser board with a serial port mezzanine board. Its a weird design and seems unnecessarily costly. I suspect that's why it is so rare.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Found in the RS '87 catalog courtesy of tvdog:

PLUS Upgrade Adapter Board. Allows use of PLUS Upgrade Board in a
standard PC card slot.
25-1016............................................................................$14.95

Mike

The PLUS card adapter was also useful in the original Tandy 1000, which only had 3 ISA slots and only 128K RAM on the motherboard. Using regular ISA cards, upgrading an original 1000 to 512K or 640K RAM would take up 2 ISA slots, but with the PLUS card adapter you could do it using only one.

Back