• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

486 50 MHz Pentium Overdrive

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
I'm in the process of upgrading my latest 486 project; a 1992 Tandy Sensation (25-1650). :D I need a 486 50 MHZ Pentium Overdrive for the co-processor slot. Also, I'm looking for 4 (8x1) 80 NS 72-pin RAM modules. Thanks in advance.

so are you wanting a 486 DX2ODP50 << doesn't have Pentium instructions
or under clock a POPD5V63 << rare as hen's teeth now

also not sure if a Pentium Overdrive (for socket 3) work in upgrade socket.. as they don't have the pin to turn off the existing processor

Are you sure that's what you want or do you actually want 4 (2 MB x 36) (8 MB modules)? I don't think that (8x1) even exists.

It max's out at 32 MB - 8 MB per slot - 4 slots.

Last edited:
just had a look for what the board may look like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandy-Sensation-Motherboard-w-Intel-i486SX-25-/190861436489
and also checked specs
http://support.radioshack.com/support_computer/doc1/1289.htm

Pentium Overdrive out of the question.. has to be a 486DX2 OD or 487
but someone also suggest you probably could use a DX4ODP and it would run at 75MHz

Not out of the question - this is what's called for:

SENSATION! (250-1650) Math Coprocessor Faxback Doc. # 1299 Installing a Math Coprocessor or Overdrive Processor Upgrade: Note: The i487SX 25 Mhz Math Coprocessor and 50 Mhz Overdrive Processor can be ordered from Third Party Products. Note: The 486 DX/2, Overdrive Retrofit (ODPR), and the 486SX/2 are NOT supported by this computer. The i487 SX adds math coprocessor circuitry only. The OverDrive processor adds math coprocessor circuitry and increases the computer's internal processing speed. Your computer requires a 25 MHz i487 SX processor or a 50 Mhz Overdrive processor. In addition to adding math coprocessor circuitry, the OverDrive processor also enhances the overall performance of the computer by increasing the speed at which internal processing occurs. (Intel Overdrive ODP486SX-24 50 MHz)

POD50 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Do be so obtuse! You got'em or not? :stern:
Sorry, but I just gotta laugh. You're looking for a part for your machine. You manage to describe the part incorrectly twice. I get it right for a machine that I've never seen or even heard of and I'm obtuse? Lemme laugh again. :) :) What's wrong with the eBay link you posted? Is $5.00 too expensive for you?

Sure, I got'em and I'll give'm to ya' for free. I'll even pay the $5.00 it would cost to ship'em.

Sorry, but I just gotta laugh. You're looking for a part for your machine. You manage to describe the part incorrectly twice. I get it right for a machine that I've never seen or even heard of and I'm obtuse? Lemme laugh again. :) :) What's wrong with the eBay link you posted? Is $5.00 too expensive for you?

Sure, I got'em and I'll give'm to ya' for free. I'll even pay the $5.00 it would cost to ship'em.

Well, Stone, without a doubt you are one of the sharpest, eagle-eyed members on this forum, as nothing seems to get by you. You certainly have the knack for 'humbling' people. Thanks for the offer but I've already rounded some up here locally. BTW, I posted the link to indicate what I needed, not for the price.

I honestly thought that the $5.00 eBay deal was quite reasonable and that you were going get four of them from there. Normally I would sell the ones I have for a bit more than $5.00 each plus shipping. I always try to sell what I have available for a reasonable price as I don't believe in gouging. And since everybody here at VCF is a bonafide `cheepskate´ it's the only way. :)

I honestly thought that the $5.00 eBay deal was quite reasonable and that you were going get four of them from there. Normally I would sell the ones I have for a bit more than $5.00 each plus shipping. I always try to sell what I have available for a reasonable price as I don't believe in gouging. And since everybody here at VCF is a bonafide `cheepskate´ it's the only way. :)

I thought that price which included shipping was quite reasonable. I wouldn't even consider selling any chips with shipping (a padded envelope costs about $.50 at my dollar store), and lugging it to the Post Office for less. The gas just to drive to the Post Office and back is a buck or two.

People don't think of all this when they price stuff, or make offers.

You are not just paying for the item and shipping, but for the packing materials and the time/gas for the seller to pack it up and bring it to the Post Office to ship. And, in my case... driving to the Dollar Store to buy padded envelopes.

$5.00 is VERY reasonable, all told.

I thought it quite reasonable too, but I posted my request here to give someone on the forum the first crack. I'm not the over-sensitive type, far from it, but I'd rather not have a finger pointed at me simply because I didn't follow a certain part number protocol or description. I'm not in the business of cataloging and selling, however I do know what I want.

(Intel Overdrive ODP486SX-24 50 MHz)
ODP486SX-25 is the old part numbering.. the new part numbering is DX2ODP50.. both are identically in operation & features

So you know exactly that you are getting the correct one sSpecs in these parts are
SZ676 (80486 overdrive 50MHz ODP486SX-25)
SZ800 (80486 overdrive 50MHz ODP486SX-25)
SZ874 (80486 overdrive 50MHz ODP486SX-25)
SZ902 (80486 overdrive 50MHz DX2ODP50)
SZ932 (80486 overdrive 50MHz DX2ODP50)

ODP486SX-25 is the old part numbering.. the new part numbering is DX2ODP50.. both are identically in operation & features

So you know exactly that you are getting the correct one sSpecs in these parts are
SZ676 (80486 overdrive 50MHz ODP486SX-25)
SZ800 (80486 overdrive 50MHz ODP486SX-25)
SZ874 (80486 overdrive 50MHz ODP486SX-25)
SZ902 (80486 overdrive 50MHz DX2ODP50)
SZ932 (80486 overdrive 50MHz DX2ODP50)

Many thanks for the info. BTW, do you have one?

unfortunately I just sold all my spares
http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21674

ODP486SX-25 & DX2ODP50 are not easy to come by
but just thinking you could run a DX2ODP66 on the 25MHz bus and it would run at 50MHz

I do have some spare.. but shipping from Oz might be a bit high.. but they are easier to find on US ebay
sSpecs for DX2ODP66 are
SZ903 (80486 overdrive 66MHz DX2ODP66)
SZ933 (80486 overdrive 66MHz DX2ODP66)

not a lot of choice out there at the moment (ignore the odd non OD that appears in the search)
http://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?LH_T...486SX-25+,+DX2ODP66,+DX2ODP50+)+intel&_sop=10

also DX2ODP66, ODP486DX-33 & ODP486SX-33 are physically the same processor.. just different part naming

and if you get really desperate.. you could use a a ODPR (missing extra pin) and put a loose spare pin in KEY pin hole in socket and hot wire.
The extra pin "Key" on ODPs is either has no connect or is wired to ground (will check datasheets) to turn off the board processor
ODPRs are plentiful and dime a dozen

Last edited:
Back