• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Atari 600XL keyboard adapter

Oscar

Experienced Member
Hi,

I just got myself a 600XL which was in pretty bad shape - but after getting rid of the rust (no kidding) it looks viable.

However - between the keyboard ribbon cable and the motherboard is some sort of adapter board, stuffed with resistors. All I could find about this is that it may be to protect the Pokey from multiple simultaneous key presses, is that right? Below is a photo.

The question is... what's the red wire? It looks like a botched DIY addition, but unfortunately it's not clear to which pin of the keyboard connector it's supposed to be attached. It came loose at the motherboard end, and I'd like to find out
(a) what's it for (better GND?),
(b) is it necessary in a normal 600XL?
(c) where can I best re-attach it to (if it's not GND)?

KBadapter2.jpg KBadapter1.jpg

Left: motherboard, adapter board, keyboard ribbon cable. Note the red wire which disappeared underneath the connector on the MB.
Right: the adapter board with the mystery red wire.

This is my first Atari 8-bit machine, so apologies for my ignorance...

Cheers,

Oscar.

Attachments

• KBsocket.jpg
    KBsocket.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 3
Hmm... memo to self:

It seems all 600XLs have this adapter board, apparently there was not enough space for the resistors on the motherboard. Or so I understand.

The wire was just to cover for a dodgy pin on the connector. After repairing a cracked keyboard PCB, I now have a fully functioning 600XL. Yay! Memory upgrade is next on the to-do list, not sure whether I should go for 64K or straight for the Ultimate 1MB upgrade that Lotharek sells.

earn money forum

Hello i found new service in PPD.
Get paid on each download same prices as in sharecash.org and another survey file hostings.
10% REFERAL BONUS!
Payments minimum 10$ paying paypal,payza,moneybookers,webmoney(webmoney if summ is less than 100$ and need to ask support before it) Paypal and moneybookers always!

For US ips average $ per download is 60cents!
register today and earn money!
http://paykun.com/ref/17
if got question pm

FIRST 10 people from this forum who register under me guaranteed first cashout speed 14 days and 1$ extra bonus in cashout!

non ref link:
http://paykun.com

payment proof:
if its wrong category moderator please move thnx.

Back