• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC 330 - My latest aquisition

Springbok

Experienced Member
Don't see many of these on the bay. I was looking for a 486 and found this. Finally a system that is not MCA, so I can have some fun with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM...lv1pk0kdXCOii4ekLawMs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Got the PC for $29, and the monitor for $19 (the original buyer of the monitor backed out). Seller let me send him pre-paid labels, so my total investment was $66 shipped. Pretty cool. He sent me pics of the '1" deep scratch". Turns out not to be that serious after all. (see pic)

IBM1.jpg

Hello,

very nice hardware. In fact, I have the MB of that pc, and it's best 486 mobo I've ever used.

Is it like the later PS/1 range with the VGA, ports etc built-in? Some folk seem to look down on the later non MCA IBM models but I've found my bitsa machine runs quite well compared to similar spec machines.

Last edited:
I have one of the variants of this chassis model - mine has a 486 DX4-100 factory installed, and I've maxed the ram out at the full 128mb (just because I could). It takes a helluva long time to boot, but it's kind've cool to see it count that high :)

though tbh, I'll probably scale it back down to 32mb, as 128mb is just way overkill for the machine.

They're quite nice systems though - I'm the 2nd owner of mine, and I've had it for a little over a decade now. Still going strong!

I have one of the variants of this chassis model - mine has a 486 DX4-100 factory installed, and I've maxed the ram out at the full 128mb (just because I could). It takes a helluva long time to boot, but it's kind've cool to see it count that high :)

though tbh, I'll probably scale it back down to 32mb, as 128mb is just way overkill for the machine.

They're quite nice systems though - I'm the 2nd owner of mine, and I've had it for a little over a decade now. Still going strong!

They are very fast systems. My dad used to run a 486DX4-100 with 64MB RAM and Windows NT 4.0, and always liked it. I remember I played Tomb Raider on that machine, it worked better than my P75.

Plus, since everything is onboard, you dont have to mess with VL.bus expansion cards, which cause a lot of trouble.

My first non-retail, non-food service job was building and deploying a few hundred IBM PC 330s and 350s with 486DX2/50s in them. They were very good machines in every sense. We ran OS/2 3.0, Windows 95, and Windows NT 4.0 on them.

Turns out the guy lives out in the boondocks in ID, so my shipping doubled. Still got the whole system for under $100 shipped though. Based on the comments made so far in this thread, I am really excited to get it.

Back