• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is UDRAM?

tcpf429

Experienced Member
Hi all,
I have recently obtained an IBM Aptiva (I believe it's a 2159) and I'm just basically messing with it-adding hard drives and random ISA cards, etc. But I noticed a unique and puzzling feature. Next to the four 72-pin SIMM memory slots, there is a slot for memory the same size as SDR SDRAM, but with different notching-a typical SDRAM chip won't fit in there (I ended up destroying the latches). The slot has "UDRAM" and "5.0 V" on it. I tried searching these on the Internet, but wound up with nothing to answer what it is or if I can get it. So, does anyone here have a clue?

Thanks!

It's probably just for a regular 5V EDO DIMM. The 'U' in UDRAM may be for 'unbuffered', to make the distinction from the buffered type commonly used in Macs at the time.

'K, but EDO memory doesn't fit in it.

I'm guessing you're associating EDO with 72-pin SIMMs, and of course those won't fit in a DIMM slot... but EDO came in several different form factors, including 168 pin DIMMs.

Where to get 'em cheap, I dunno. The buffered 5V ones are pretty common, and unbuffered 3.3V is pretty easy to get too, but unbuffered 5V is harder to find. (Assuming that's even what the thing takes... remember, I'm just making an educated guess here.) I'd say just skip it and stick to common SIMMs... it's not like there's any real advantage to using a DIMM in this instance anyhow, it's the same memory as what you get with a SIMM, just on different size stick.

Ok, will do.

Ok, will do.

I'm guessing you're associating EDO with 72-pin SIMMs, and of course those won't fit in a DIMM slot... but EDO came in several different form factors, including 168 pin DIMMs.

Where to get 'em cheap, I dunno. The buffered 5V ones are pretty common, and unbuffered 3.3V is pretty easy to get too, but unbuffered 5V is harder to find. (Assuming that's even what the thing takes... remember, I'm just making an educated guess here.) I'd say just skip it and stick to common SIMMs... it's not like there's any real advantage to using a DIMM in this instance anyhow, it's the same memory as what you get with a SIMM, just on different size stick.

If the Aptiva takes a max of 128 MB's of RAM, then I will just maxing that out with the SIMM's. Anyway, thanks everyone for your time in solving the question!

Back