• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scored some Atari games recently.

CommodoreZ

Experienced Member
I was in a very large Goodwill the other day, and I spotted a handful of Atari 2600 cartridges in a display case. So I bought a few:
Keystone Kapers
Demons to Diamonds
Zaxxon

And wouldn't you believe it, they had a single C64 cartridge of Zaxxon too, so I had to get that.

The Atari carts work fine, but my C64 is packed away right now so I can't test it.

So where do you usually find old game cartridges?

For me:Yard sales, junk stores, Goodwill's, thrift shops, and one or two online specialty shops.

Hm. I don't seek them too often but we have vintage game stores in town which once in a blue moon I'll pay their prices or come across a deal for something that's boxed but most of the stores want $9.99 for everything unless it's a sports game (sports games they can't even get rid of for free half the time). Goodwill I'll sometimes grab a game but our Goodwill's in Austin also have an agreement that I think all electronics need to go to one location and unfortunately that means that one location gets to decide to compete with game store prices so they'll mark them up to $4/5 usually. Unless it's boxed (and even if it is) they're often not worth that price either.

Thrift stores are great and usually the appropriate price but I haven't found any reliable ones that carry things consistently since it's just whatever they get. *SOME* times pawn shops can have ok prices but they're also generally trying to make the most and mark them up a few bucks. Carts are sorta an odd one though. Good question though.

My normal online store is eStarland, but I know them from the storefront they used to have during the 00's near me in Northern VA. That closed down a few years back, but they maintained online sales, and opened a showroom out in Chantilly not too long ago. Nothing has a price tag on it there, just a bar code. They have a handful of terminals around the store to look up prices and see if what you want is in stock. Most everything is on shelves for you to handle, but there are some things the employees can find for you if the online catalog says they have it.

They've always had a great selection of vintage games from many different systems, along with hardware. I usually get stuff for my Atari or NES from them. They even had a few fully boxed copies of Star Raiders for 2600, complete with manuals and that weird keypad controller. Terrible game though...

Back