• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Chiclet trio

Chandler1

Experienced Member
Hi again,
It's been a while since I've been on site, life getting in the way!
I'm now in the UK, with two USA spec pets and one uk spec.

My question is, before I try, can the USA transformer be used off the uk (240v) electricity supply? That is, can the internal transformer be connected differently so at it will work the PET?
I haven't opened them up side by side to check connections yet....
thanks!

I have an european model here on my desk that I'm fixing; the transformer hasn't any option pins to swap between 110 and 220/240 v... I believe your USA model should be the same.
Maybe the easiest and safest way is to buy one of those 220 -> 110 transformers.

--Giovi

Thanks. That's a shame.
I have a couple of the plug in transformers, I'll try them, then look out for a damaged uk pet so I can swap the internal transformer over in due course.

Thanks. That's a shame.
I have a couple of the plug in transformers, I'll try them, then look out for a damaged uk pet so I can swap the internal transformer over in due course.
Keep an eye (or finger) on the transformer's temperature. Running a 60Hz transformer at 50Hz will probably make it run a little warmer; probably not a problem in practice unless you're really loading it, but good to check anyway.

From http://www.edn.com/design/component...sformer-at-a-frequency-it-wasn-t-designed-for :

A transformer designed specifically for 240V at 60 Hz must not be driven with more than 240×50/60 = 200V at 50 Hz. Obviously, 50/60-Hz-rated transformers are designed for operation at 50 Hz and draw less excitation current at 60 Hz.

Last edited:
not very interesting it this circumstance, but I can say the opposite scenario shows no problem: my european PETs -220v 50Hz- are working fine at 220v 60Hz.

--Giovi

Cheers guys.
I just checked my mains supply, it's actually showing 250v no load, and 49.9hz
Presumably the usual transforming transformer (!)will run at half the voltage, 125v and 49.9hz. Thats instead of 110v at 60hz. Hopefully the internal regulation an diode bridge(?) setup of the USA PET can handle that.
I'd certainly prefer a CBM UK transformer, but I expect the USA-uk Converter will be fine short term

Cheers guys.
I just checked my mains supply, it's actually showing 250v no load, and 49.9hz
Presumably the usual transforming transformer (!)will run at half the voltage, 125v and 49.9hz. Thats instead of 110v at 60hz. Hopefully the internal regulation an diode bridge(?) setup of the USA PET can handle that.
I'd certainly prefer a CBM UK transformer, but I expect the USA-uk Converter will be fine short term
'110V' is usually a nominal 117V in most places, so even at 125V you'll only be around 7% high, well within design specs. The lower frequency could be a problem at the higher voltage though; just check the transformer's temperature for a while when you first power it up. It might not be an issue at all anyway if it's a 50/60Hz transformer.

Last edited:
not very interesting it this circumstance, but I can say the opposite scenario shows no problem: my european PETs -220v 50Hz- are working fine at 220v 60Hz.
Running a transformer at a higher than design frequency is no problem; it'll probably run a little cooler.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking for replacement internal transformers (uk voltage) if anyone has a spare (or two) pls message me.

Back