• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy PS2 Keyboard question

Gribnitz

Experienced Member
I am sure this has been asked, but I can't seem to narrow down a search without getting 1,000 hits. I have a bunch of the old 5 pin keyboards, including an old Tandy, but I have no Tandy PS2 style keyboards. I have an RLX and RSX that have the PS2 style connector that I want to use, but can't seem to get any keyboard to work on it. Is there any kind of adapter (old AT/XT keyboard to PS2), or other keyboard I can use that will work on the RLX/RSX? I could have sworn I had my RLX working at one time with a non-tandy PS2 keyboard.

I also have a Tandy 2100 486 that I haven't even tried to power up yet. Is that machine going to be in the same situation? I didn't get a keyboard with that one either.

I love old computers, but they are such a pain.

The RLX and RSX *should* take regular PS/2 keyboards...or an AT keyboard adapter to the PS/2 connection. I guess it is possible the RLX uses an XT type keyboard, but most likely is AT/PS2. The RSX being a 386 should definitely be an AT keyboard.

I know what you mean...old computers are fun...but can definitely be frustrating at times. :)

Wesley

FWIW, I have a Tandy Sensation!, which is an early 486SX dating back to 1993 or so, and it has a PS/2 keyboard.

Despite having a 286 processor, the 1000RLX is actually an XT-class machine, thus it requires an XT-compatible keyboard. The official Tandy Enhanced Keyboard is XT/AT autoswitching, as well as older versions of the IBM Model M (made before Lexmark took over the production and cost-cut the design). You can also use an XT or XT/AT-switchable keyboard with an AT (large 5-pin DIN)-to-PS/2 plug adapter.

The 1000RSX is a proper AT-class 386SX machine and thus can use any PS/2 keyboard, including modern ones which are AT-only.

Despite having a 286 processor, the 1000RLX is actually an XT-class machine, thus it requires an XT-compatible keyboard. The official Tandy Enhanced Keyboard is XT/AT autoswitching, as well as older versions of the IBM Model M (made before Lexmark took over the production and cost-cut the design). You can also use an XT or XT/AT-switchable keyboard with an AT (large 5-pin DIN)-to-PS/2 plug adapter.

The 1000RSX is a proper AT-class 386SX machine and thus can use any PS/2 keyboard, including modern ones which are AT-only.

Perfect. I remembered using one of these, so I must have been using the RSX with a standard PS2 keyboard. For the RLX, are you saying I can use one of my old IBM clicky keyboards if I can find an adapter? Do you know where you can get an adapter like that?

Perfect. I remembered using one of these, so I must have been using the RSX with a standard PS2 keyboard. For the RLX, are you saying I can use one of my old IBM clicky keyboards if I can find an adapter? Do you know where you can get an adapter like that?

Here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370937442708

And there was a 1000RSX that just sold for $250 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200986652259

I noticed that unlike all other Tandy 1000 models, it does not have any joystick ports!

What makes this model so desirable? And what distinguishes it from the 2500 line?

The 1000RSX is the last and probably the rarest model of the Tandy 1000 series. It is pretty much the same thing as the 2500RSX except in a smaller case and with DOS and DeskMate in ROM.

Back