• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why UPS packages get destroyed

packages get demolished because corporate management makes such demands on employees that the only way they can be met is if employees toss and abuse packages to save time. instead of reflecting on this, they demand customers to "properly prepare" packages entrusted to their care, and looks for every opportunity to deny responsibility for the consequences of the demands they place on their employees.

It does make sense that every package can't be handled individually and the courier needs to look at the "bulk" situation. That said, there are far too many immature workers these days. And like dorkbert says, there's a problem with corporate management too.

I wonder if DHL is any good. I just ordered some goods from California which are being delivered by them. The price is way better than UPS, and apparently they don't charge the extra fees for (non) brokerage.

I've heard from friends that worked with UPS that "package football" is not unheard of. Of course there's always the chance that it's just that one depot...

FedEx isn't any better. Got in a box of COD vials at work yesterday - 150 test tubes of mercuric sulfate in chromic acid - and FedEx had managed to knock them all loose inside of the shipping box. None broken, but two were frozen. Our two bosses unpacked the box in hazmat gear. :)

Last edited:
I send lots of stuff... everywhere. Parts, MFM & RLL drives, monitors... and I use USPS and FedEX. The items always arrive OK. I guess if you pack it right it can survive anything. I even sent an IBM 5151 to Lithuania this summer and it made it.

When I pack monitors, I wrap them in about 2-3" of bubble wrap on all sides, and this so far has not resulted in a broken monitor. How did you pack your 5151?

I pack all monitors the same way -- like FedEx does. I start with a box that has about 3" clearance on all six sides. A 14" monitor usually gets a 20" box. I put one layer of bubble wrap around the display itself. Then I crumple up heavy brown wrapping paper (or tightly crumpled newspaper) and tightly fill in all six sides of the box surrounding the monitor. This acts as a spring/cushion. When you shake the box there should not be any wiggle room at all. I probably pack better than FedEx does using their own methodology. Of course, if I'm low on energy I let them pack it and charge the buyer accordingly. They usually charge ~ $20 to pack a Multisync in a 20" box. But I had to pack the 5151 myself 'cause FedEx & UPS wanted ~ $400 to ship it to Lithuania and USPS doesn't do Windows or packing. :) But they only charged ~ $175 to ship it.

I'm sure most folks here have seen the fairly recent youtube clips of the shipping person throwing packages into their truck (resulted in them being fired) and the USPS mailperson driving onto someones lawn and throwing their package onto the porch. I'm sure it's a bad egg scenario not common place but does explain some of the boxes I've received. The USPS used to keep my heavier stuff at their location I think since they couldn't lift it easily which was sorta nice since I can imagine a pissed off mail person quickly getting my computer off their chest if they did deliver it.

Back