• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Good luck or bad continued, Putting a Pentium MB into an IBM 5160 case

I have similar plans for this parted out 8540. It has no drive or cable, no 5 1/4 floppy or cable (Just the front bezel) ,the IBM 3.5 floppy dust cover is broken off. The front HDD drive bezel was missing so I cannibalized that from another junker. The new CPU and motherboard will be...lets say...outside the realm of "Vintage", therefore not appropriate for the forums here. I will take a slot-loading DVD drive and align it with the floppy drive bezel where I can press the blue button and eject it.
But don't think for a second, I'm gonna just throw some cheap Taiwanese board and peripherals in this American Classic though. All new hardware will be IBM or Lenovo. And, ALL old hardware will be preserved and undamaged.

8540.jpg

Last edited:
These 3.5 fdd drives were known for not actually having dust covers. A design boo boo by big blue to save some cents.
The 3.5" drive in my XT Tubo clones one on the other hand came standard with a metal dust cover. It would seem some clone manufacturers used products superior to IBMs ;)

Last edited:
The 2.88 MB PS/2 floppy drives do have a dust cover... it's just painted black so you can't see it unless you look closely. :)

Last edited:
Bet it was plastic though :p Thanks for the correction. Were they as bad as the others construction wise?

FWIW Compaq slimline/allinone fdds might fit nicely behind the PS/2 fdd facia and use standard cabling:

TEAC FD-23HG, P/N 19307783-80

But of course they're made in Taiwan as opposed to IBMs fdds, which were made in Japan:
http://www.intergate.ca/~fspencer/8580d144.htm
http://mypage.intergate.ca/~fspencer/FD_144_01.htm

The TEAC FD-23/235HG with the black dust cover looks like the best replacement to the IBM FDD. I should clarify, I will try retrofit it with as much IBM or Lenovo branded parts as I can. It will be the classic PC on the outside...ultra modern on the inside.
Yeah Framer!! FANTASTIC Job Sir!! :) It may take me a while..But I hope to complete my project as well..You Inspire me!! :D

Last edited:
Back