• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Logitech 3 Button Mouse Question

Tomn8tr

Experienced Member
I located an OLD Logitech serial mouse, 25 pin RS-232 with 3 buttons. I believe this is the same model as the first mouse I ever used back in the day. It's awesome it still works but I cannot remember what the middle button does. I am running Norton Commander and I thought the middle button would select files and highlight them yellow, but it doesn't.

At first I had no vertical movement using an old mouse.com I had on a floppy, but ctmouse.com got it working: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/util_e.html

Does anyone remember what that middle button does so I can test it all out and know it's all working?

Thank you!

PS - this is on an IBM 5150, Com 1.

With most software, the middle button does nothing. If you have the disks that came with the mouse, Logitech supplied software that made use of the middle button. Often, it would be the same as pressing the Left and Right buttons at the same time which is useless. The point editor uses the middle button to exit help or to split a window. The Point and Click shell uses the middle button to launch a menu. For non-Logitech software, the Lillith inspired IDEs for Modula-2 and related languages made use of the middle button. X-Windows (unlikely to be running on 5150) has the middle mouse button for pasting.

Thanks krebizfan, I think that it is probably a driver (or software) issue. I just got the mouse, no software, so maybe there is an old Logitech 3 button driver out there for DOS. I appreciate your examples of the middle button operation, at least I know I'm not crazy - I do remember that button having a function and this is the same software I used in the 80s.

If you don't have any luck try vetusware.com. Registration is free and there are tons of software choices for download

Shivers the "V" place. I thought those mentioning that were punished by being placed on a bed of feathers and tickled to death.

Am I missing something here? Does the "V" place have a special meaning?

Uncle

Back