• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PCI-Express PATA Controllers

The FX-8350 is a great performer, I've had it installed in my Asus Sabertooth 990FX since early this year. You may want to treat yourself to Battlefield 4 as it is designed to use most of your cores. You didn't mention what you were going to do for video.

I considered The Asus Sabertooth but it had three problems:

1. it was an Asus and after the ridiculous support I have gotten fro them on my P5E64 WS Evolution I was not about to give them another red cent
2. It basically had the same feature set as the Extreme4 but missing 1394a
3. It cost more

I am glad to hear the chip is a solid performer though. Video and just about everything else will be salvaged from my current system. Heck if I could find a LGA-775 board that would fit my needs I wouldn't even switch out my CPU or RAM. Currently I have an NVidia GeForce 280GTX running my 30" dell flat panel and a GeForce 8800 GT running the two 19" panels on each side... Great for work as I can have email open on one screen, spread sheet on the main screen, and have other (i.e. music, widgets, etc.) running on the third screen.

I am glad to hear the chip is a solid performer though. Video and just about everything else will be salvaged from my current system. Heck if I could find a LGA-775 board that would fit my needs I wouldn't even switch out my CPU or RAM.

What are those needs?

My X38 based LGA775 board has onboard Firewire, floppy, PATA, LPT, and RS-232. Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4. There are other variations, some with the X48 chipset, but they all have the legacy ports. Only 2 PCIe 16x slots though.

What are those needs?

My X38 based LGA775 board has onboard Firewire, floppy, PATA, LPT, and RS-232. Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4. There are other variations, some with the X48 chipset, but they all have the legacy ports. Only 2 PCIe 16x slots though.

Basically what you said plus:

1. 2x PCI-E 2.0/3.0 x16 (for two video cards)
2. 1x PCI-E 2.0 x8 (for Areca RAID Controller)
3. PCI slot for sound card

The slots where the problem then too. I remember I searched along time until I found the Asus P5E64 WS Evolution board. I actually found one for sale but at $412 dollars it makes far more sense to go the AMD route and upgrade then get another board. Now if it was $100 or even half that price I'd be all over it...

Well I pulled the trigger and bought the AMD MB/CPU/16 GB of ram and the StarTech PCI-E IDE controller... I will post back once things are setup and report success (or lack there of) with the IDE LS-240 and 250MB ZIP drives (including if it will boot them!).

damn, I'm a bit late, but did you consider USB for your zip & superdrive? When I replaced my socket A system, I lost ide & floppy as well, but I got an usb zip drive for a song at a thrift store. I even use an old ibm branded usb > 3.5 floppy drive and contrary to what people seem to believe, windows 7 can still work with 720k floppy formats just fine.

I considered The Asus Sabertooth but it had three problems:

1. it was an Asus and after the ridiculous support I have gotten fro them on my P5E64 WS Evolution I was not about to give them another red cent
2. It basically had the same feature set as the Extreme4 but missing 1394a
3. It cost more

I am glad to hear the chip is a solid performer though. Video and just about everything else will be salvaged from my current system. Heck if I could find a LGA-775 board that would fit my needs I wouldn't even switch out my CPU or RAM. Currently I have an NVidia GeForce 280GTX running my 30" dell flat panel and a GeForce 8800 GT running the two 19" panels on each side... Great for work as I can have email open on one screen, spread sheet on the main screen, and have other (i.e. music, widgets, etc.) running on the third screen.

1. Your going to get good and bad with any mobo, but Asus is still tops in quality IMHO. (Tech support isn't any worse off than Gigabyte or MSI)
2. What in the world do you need FireWire for these days?
3. Asus does cost a little more but I believe they are well worth it.

If I just went with the investment you made, I would be looking to upgrade the video. FWIW, the Asus Radeon R9 280X (Tahiti) Scored a "Verdict 9 KICK ASS" in the Holiday Issue of MAXIMUMPC (@ $310 or less if you can find one) Heck of a board for the money.

1. Your going to get good and bad with any mobo, but Asus is still tops in quality IMHO. (Tech support isn't any worse off than Gigabyte or MSI)
2. What in the world do you need FireWire for these days?
3. Asus does cost a little more but I believe they are well worth it.

If I just went with the investment you made, I would be looking to upgrade the video. FWIW, the Asus Radeon R9 280X (Tahiti) Scored a "Verdict 9 KICK ASS" in the Holiday Issue of MAXIMUMPC (@ $310 or less if you can find one) Heck of a board for the money.

Well, I'll have to wait and see. Initially I used to buy Tyan for solid performance but no frills then I switched to Abit which at one point made great boards (my BP6 and VP6 are still running strong!) and finally I moved on to Asus. I have bought four Asus boards in three systems and all four have failed in one way or another. Two suffered from capacitor issues (although after many years of service), one didn't work straight out of the box, and the latest failed after a bad flash.

Go figure that I have XTs that are 30 years old still working fine but my 5 year old Asus has problems! :)

In any case time to mix it up a bit. If I wanted to get a high end/feature rich board I'd consider EVGA next time but I was trying to keep the price down so here we are!

As for the video I know what you mean but really I have no use for it (i.e. I don't play the latest games) my current video cards will serve me well until the next massive upgrade. Plus the money I would have spent on video cards went toward three SSDs to upgrade my notebook and my two HTPCs. In fact I am going to use the processor and RAM from this system for the guts of the second HTPC...

As for 1394 I have Sony HD MiniDV cam that uses 1394...

That's okay, I'll buy that argument. But since a mini FireWire to USB adapter can be had for just a few dollars ( http://www.amazon.com/Firewire-Ieee...85769689&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+firewire+to+usb ) I certainly wouldn't use "FireWire" as the criteria for investment in a modern motherboard/PC system.

True, I could also buy a PCIe 1394a add in card but when the ASrock has the feature and is cheaper then the Asus why should I complicate my life? ;) Somebody should just make a PCIe card with al lthe obsolete ports/connectors on it (1394a, LPT, RS232, IDE, Floppy, etc..) sort of like the AIO boards of the ISA era... Then you can buy one of those and boom you are ready to rock it like it was 2003 again! ;)

Awww, go ahead and crack for that new video card. Its the Holiday Season you know, falalalala and all that - you deserve it. Trust me, gaming or not, that R9 video card will make your new system jump no matter what you're doing.

Somebody should just make a PCIe card with al lthe obsolete ports/connectors on it (1394a, LPT, RS232, IDE, Floppy, etc..) sort of like the AIO boards of the ISA era... Then you can buy one of those and boom you are ready to rock it like it was 2003 again! ;)
I seem to recall there is some technical reason (something to do with DMA?) that you can't put a real FDC chip on anything other than an ISA bus.

I seem to recall there is some technical reason (something to do with DMA?) that you can't put a real FDC chip on anything other than an ISA bus.

To be compatible with existing software, you have to use the motherboard DMA channel 2 to drive the data transfers. Modern peripheral cards have their own on-card DMA. There was a way in the PCI days
of forwarding DMA requests from PCI peripherals to the mb DMA controller and in fact there was a rare PCI floppy controller card, but that was abandoned in later chip sets.

My dual socket 771 board has a floppy disk port. the bios only supports 1 drive but its still there. I put a 5.25 floppy on that and i use a 3.5 on USB.

Well, there are numerous modern motherboards out there that support PCI, PCI(E), and have their own floppy/IDE controllers on-board. However, I have never been successful in locating a stand-alone PCI floppy controller, but I do have a PCI IDE controller that works just fine on my all-SATA motherboard.

Awww, go ahead and crack for that new video card. Its the Holiday Season you know, falalalala and all that - you deserve it. Trust me, gaming or not, that R9 video card will make your new system jump no matter what you're doing.

Well, while the festive holiday colors are quite enticing I still have to pass. :) I am in full build mode now and I am finally setting up my other HTPC, upgrading the notebook, and repairing my main WS which means lots of HW = $$$$. I am doing my best to not buy anything I don't absolutely need. One thing I do need is another MB for the HTPC.

I need a mATX board that supports LGA 775, DDR 3, 3-4 SATA ports (for BD Drive, HDD, and SSD) and has one full x16 PCI-E slot. Ideally it would be a PCI-E 2.0 slot but I haven't been able to find a board that meets all those needs. The closest I came to was the Asus P5G43T-M PRO problem being it is not available for sale any more (aside of course from it being an Asus)! ;) So any recs for boards are appreciated.

ddr3 & pcie-2.0 is quite a stretch on the same board. That said: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128536

everything you listed except its a 1.0 not a 2.0, But unless you are gaming, its a moot point.

Yes it is. I think the G43 chipset is the key. G31 seems to only support DDR2 and G41 adds DDR3. And as you say, since I am not gaming, I am willing to make the compromise on the PCI-E 2.0 if I have to! Newegg actually has two boards and I'd probably go with the Asrock if I can't find anything better in a week or so.

Back