• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tandy Model 4P Memory Upgrade

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
I recently acquired a working Tandy Model 4P from the original owner, along with all of the manuals and software. My first task is to upgrade the memory from 64K to 128K Preferably, I would like 8 ea. Tandy P/N 8040665 64K x 1 DRAMs (essentially 4164 DRAMs with a Tandy part number). Failing that, most any 200 NS (150 NS might work) 4164 would probably do, however the consensus is to stay clear of TI chips for this upgrade because of some application anomalies. Also looking for the Radio Shack High-Resolution Graphics Board (catalog number 26-1126), a $249.95 board which provided 640 by 240 resolution graphics (I know, lots of luck on that one). :rolleyes:

...I would like 8 ea. Tandy P/N 8040665 64K x 1 DRAMs (essentially 4164 DRAMs with a Tandy part number). Failing that, most any 200 NS (150 NS might work) 4164 would probably do...
Any chip 200 NS or faster will work. A faster RAM chip mixed in with slower RAM chips works fine but it runs at the slower speed.

That being said, I have eight Motorola MCM6665BP15 64K 150 NS RAM chips available. I use them on my XT board that has 200 NS chips when I have to replace bad chips and the XT runs fine. I also use them on 384K RAM cards to replace the bad chips I find there as well.

Any chip 200 NS or faster will work. A faster RAM chip mixed in with slower RAM chips works fine but it runs at the slower speed.

That being said, I have eight Motorola MCM6665BP15 64K 150 NS RAM chips available. I use them on my XT board that has 200 NS chips when I have to replace bad chips and the XT runs fine. I also use them on 384K RAM cards to replace the bad chips I find there as well.

Okay, lets do it. Send me the particulars.

Give me a little time to get the chips out and test them. I have more than eight and I want to be sure that I don't send you a bad one. I'll get back to you after that.

Back