• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

making a Trs-80 model 1 level 2 boot disk

Lurch, your EI is standard single density.

Ian, how can you be so sure? From the discussion and my play with TRS32 it looks like LDOS 5.x.x will format as single density unless you call up the double density driver, yes? So couldn't you have a doubler and not even know it? The machine will behave as single density unless told otherwise.

Lurch, in playing around with TRS32 there seems to be one test that seems definitive and will show if your PC wrote a single density or double density disk from the LDOS image. After booting up LDOS, can you enter the command DEVICE. Among other things this will show the status of the disks in your drives and show if they are single density or double density. On the line that starts with 0: (probably the top line) is there a "Sden" in there or a "Dden"?

Tez

Well, that's fantastic. You certainly scored there. I've seen talk that there is the odd motherboard that can do single density but this is the first time I've seen anything specific.

So now I believe it (-:

What software did you use in the PC to write the floppy. Was it David Keil's emulator?

Tez

Well it has a 40/80 track switch that's set to 40 but how do I get the trs-80 to use 40 tracks? (never really messed with 5 1/4" disks before-started with 3 1/2" on the Amiga)

Well it has a 40/80 track switch that's set to 40 but how do I get the trs-80 to use 40 tracks? (never really messed with 5 1/4" disks before-started with 3 1/2" on the Amiga)

The disk you made from the disk image has 35 tracks. Best to stick to that for your boot disk as the other 5 tracks may not be formatted.

However, other disks you format should be able to handle 40 tracks. When you do a FORMAT, just specify 40 tracks. If your 40/80 drive is drive 1 (i.e. the second drive..the first drive is 0), then you could even switch the switch to 80, and specify 80 tracks during format. I should be able to handle it and your 80 track disk will have a lot more room.

Tez

Back