• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga 500 troubleshooting, I have some questions for you...

Ok I traced it, it's going to RP103 (network resistors?) and then to CPU pin 15. I also discovered there's a TP2 ("test point 2" ?) joint connected to cpu pin 15.

Is there a way to check Agnus and see if it's ok? I bought a "tested and working" one but I can't be sure if it's really working because I have no working A500 with the Agnus 8371 rel. so now I have two 8371 and I don't know if at least one of them is ok.

No way except a working board, I'm afraid. I thought it was odd that it wouldn't work in your other A500, so I suppose it could be that you have two bad ones. Maybe you should check to make sure you have the 28MHz clock signal coming IN to the Agnus chip at pin 34.

Kevin, I have a clock on pin 34 and no clock (LOW) on pin 38. I think the both agnus I have (the original one and the one I bought) are bad.

Honestly I'm sick and tired of this stupid Amiga, I got a timeout on my patience :) so I give up, I will keep it as spare parts.
Thank you very much for your precious help, I really appreciated!

--Giovi

Sorry I couldn't help further!

During the process of talking to you, I pulled an old non-working rev 5 board to use as a reference. I ended up tinkering with it and *almost* fixing it. Mine too had a blank screen. It had a broken Agnus socket, so I replaced that, but still blank screen. Reseating the CPU fixed that (actually I replaced it and then found it still worked when I put the old one back in), then I had a green screen, which means bad memory. I found that by pressing down on the RAM area, it would boot and give me the Insert Workbench Disk icon! So I carefully pressed down on each RAM chip and turned it on, and when I found the one that made the green screen go away, I put in a socket and replaced the bad RAM chip. I haven't been able to get rid of the green screen since! This board had clearly been worked on and given up by the last guy too, because the power pin (or was it ground?) had been cut on every RAM chip and then resoldered. I'm betting there's one that not making good contact, but I'd need 16 41256 chips to replace them all, and I don't have them. So this one goes back in the junk pile too!

I'm probably the only guy in the universe that didn't fix anything just reseating ICs in their sockets, at least once in a lifetime :D

I believe the agnus I bought as "tested - working" is bad exactly as the old one. However, even if I can't get the rid of it, I really appreciated your effort helping me!
thank you!!!

--Giovi

Back