• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where to source RAM for Mac SE/30?

k0d3g3ar

Experienced Member
I am taking on a refurbishment project to refresh a dead Mac SE/30. The computer works, but the HDD is toast. I'm changing the HDD for solid state storage, and I'd like to upgrade the RAM in this machine to the max.

Does anyone know the maximum RAM that a SE/30 will take, and could point me towards a supplier of RAM chips compatible with this computer?

Thanks
K

Thank you. I take it 4MB is the max RAM for this machine?

As for the storage, I've done pretty extensive research on this and I'm going with one of these:

ACARD AEC-7720U Ultra SCSI to IDE Bridge Board

This will get me out of the SCSI business on that computer, but keeps me in the IDE world. However I've then added this:

Apollo23 SDHC SD MMC to 3.5" 40 Pin IDE Hard Disk Drive HDD SSD Male Adapter

which gets me to a SD card. I've checked with a lot of searching and this gets around the issue that the Mac thinks that the device is "removable storage" vs. a fixed disk drive, and therefore will boot from it. I could have gone with CF for the storage, and the jury is still out regarding longer term reliabiity of SD for this, so I'll reserve judgment until I've got this running for a while.

This is what put me on this journey:

http://duxbridge.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/creating-ssd-for-my-macintosh-se30/

I've had way too many SCSI hard drives fail on Macs on me in the past, so I'm hoping that this is a solution.

Time will tell.

K

That's an interesting setup you've got there, I just might have to try that myself if the HD ever fails on my SE. And yes, 4Mb is the RAM limit. See here for all the specs of your SE/30.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Once I've had some fermentation time with this setup, I'll post back and let everyone know about stability, reliability, etc.

K

SE/30's have 8 x 30 pin RAM slots, max is 16mb x 8 or 128MB. Ebay should have the RAM at around $60 a set of 4 or $120ish for max RAM.

A regular SE has the 4MB limit.

That's an interesting setup you've got there, I just might have to try that myself if the HD ever fails on my SE. And yes, 4Mb is the RAM limit. See here for all the specs of your SE/30.
According to the link you supplied 4MB is the default supplied and 128MB is the max.

FYI, SE/30 RAM SIMM's must be installed in "Banks" of four at a time. There are 2 "Banks" of 4 slots each. While up to 128 Meg is possible, only 8 Meg will be useable with out also installing "MODE32".

Also, I know your HD was dead, but every SE/30 I have worked with lately had issues with leaking caps on the main board. Don't invest too much into this system unless you also plan to replace all the caps. I have many SCSI hard drives that have aged better the SE/30 itself.

Rick

Do you have the "ACARD AEC-7720U Ultra SCSI to IDE Bridge Board" already? If not be prepared to pay big money if you find one...

Rick

Also, I know your HD was dead, but every SE/30 I have worked with lately had issues with leaking caps on the main board. Don't invest too much into this system unless you also plan to replace all the caps. I have many SCSI hard drives that have aged better the SE/30 itself.

I had planned on doing a battery replacement on the Mobo as well, but I'm fine with switching out the caps on it. I'll check as I pop the case on this machine - thanks for the tip.

K

SE/30 is a beast. 128MBs of RAM is insane for that era computer. :) My IIci is pimped out with 128MBs. It's pretty awesome, but the RAM test can take a while. :p

And if you're looking for some additionally awesome things to do with your SE/30, you should get one of these:

http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16544

It's a custom ROM and programmer for the Macintosh II line of computers (which includes the SE/30.) Allows you to do all sorts of fun things with it, like changing the staring happy mac, the start bong, and even booting directly from the ROM itself (loading a custom system on it.) It's very, very cool.

...every SE/30 I have worked with lately had issues with leaking caps on the main board. Don't invest too much into this system unless you also plan to replace all the caps....
+1 for leaking/bad caps, it's almost a guarantee on all SE/30's.

In fact the bad caps in mine were preventing the SCSI controller and floppy from working properly, they were both glitchy or completely non-functional until I re-capped my system board. Unless it has been tested on a known working machine, I wouldn't even assume you have a bad hard drive, mine appeared to be bad too, until I recapped ;-)

Also as has been stated, max usable RAM on SE/30 is 8MB with stock "dirty" ROMs, but with replaced ROMs OR MODE32 (software patch for dirty ROMs) you can see and use up to 128MB, which is really overkill for an SE/30, though its super cool bragging rights.

In fact the bad caps in mine were preventing the SCSI controller and floppy from working properly, they were both glitchy or completely non-functional until I re-capped my system board. Unless it has been tested on a known working machine, I wouldn't even assume you have a bad hard drive, mine appeared to be bad too, until I recapped ;-)

Do you have any recommendations as to where to source replacement capacitors for this? And any universally considered instructions that people have followed to do it? Since I'm going to open this machine anyway, I may as well re-cap it.

Also as has been stated, max usable RAM on SE/30 is 8MB with stock "dirty" ROMs, but with replaced ROMs OR MODE32 (software patch for dirty ROMs) you can see and use up to 128MB, which is really overkill for an SE/30, though its super cool bragging rights.

I love the 'bragging rights' approach :) So where can one find more information on the MODE32 ROM, or get one?

K

Do you have any recommendations as to where to source replacement capacitors for this? And any universally considered instructions that people have followed to do it? Since I'm going to open this machine anyway, I may as well re-cap it.

I cheaped out on mine and used basic electrolytic radial capacitors
from china (ebay variety pack), cost me like a whole whopping $0.50 in parts. Looks like crap, and will probably only last 10 more years before they begin to fail, but I already had them (from other projects), and just wanted to get my SE/30 working QUICK! ;-)

If you wanted to go with a higher quality and professional looking fix, the way to go is Tantalum SMT capacitors (the yellow, almost chip looking ones), they should last longer (Armageddon will probably come before they ever fail), and they give a professional look to the job.

Back