• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Big Plans for a Macintosh Plus...

kordova

I'm going to see if I can gut a Mac+ and replace the crt with a small lcd screen, and use it as a monitor. The computer is going to be a custom built shell, and I'm hoping I can figure out how to do "hackintosh", as it's called. I'm going to get the hardware individually online. My end goal is to make a robot sculpture (another sketch). I want it to run a simple text input program where users can enter a handle and leave a message. I'm gonna try and get it to be the greenish text that always comes to mind when you think "old computer" :p. The other parts of the bot are going to be made with thick craft foam which I'm going to paint with an epoxy, a texturizing spray(paint), and then I'll spray paint it with a matching color. I'm going to see if I can find a mannequin to use as a base, if not that's going to be another adventure...

This is obviously going to take me a long time and it's going to be a lot of trial & error, so I'll update this post when I reach certain milestones. I'm also an artist, not a programmer, so this is going to be interesting. I have some friends and a brother who are going to help me out, though.

If you guys have any suggestions or tips for me I'd love to hear what you have to say!

[update section]
As of now: I'm watching some ebay auctions for Mac+'s veeeeeery closleyyyy... They both end in about a day, so wish me luck!

I'm going to see if I can gut a Mac+ and replace the crt with a small lcd screen, and use it as a monitor. The computer is going to be a custom built shell, and I'm hoping I can figure out how to do "hackintosh", as it's called. I'm going to get the hardware individually online. My end goal is to make a robot sculpture (another sketch). I want it to run a simple text input program where users can enter a handle and leave a message. I'm gonna try and get it to be the greenish text that always comes to mind when you think "old computer" :p. The other parts of the bot are going to be made with thick craft foam which I'm going to paint with an epoxy, a texturizing spray(paint), and then I'll spray paint it with a matching color. I'm going to see if I can find a mannequin to use as a base, if not that's going to be another adventure...

This is obviously going to take me a long time and it's going to be a lot of trial & error, so I'll update this post when I reach certain milestones. I'm also an artist, not a programmer, so this is going to be interesting. I have some friends and a brother who are going to help me out, though.

If you guys have any suggestions or tips for me I'd love to hear what you have to say!

[update section]
As of now: I'm watching some ebay auctions for Mac+'s veeeeeery closleyyyy... They both end in about a day, so wish me luck!

This sub-forum you have posted in is PRE Macintosh, you should post this under Macintosh, get a few more on-topic views.

That said I am quite sure NO ONE here would ever condone destroying a working Mac Plus for this, but if you can find a non-working one for your project, I wish you the best of luck on it, I think it looks cool ;-)

FYI, I myself did a basic PC hackintosh in a broken Mac Plus

This sub-forum you have posted in is PRE Macintosh, you should post this under Macintosh, get a few more on-topic views.

That said I am quite sure NO ONE here would ever condone destroying a working Mac Plus for this, but if you can find a non-working one for your project, I wish you the best of luck on it, I think it looks cool ;-)

FYI, I myself did a basic PC hackintosh in a broken Mac Plus
Oh, my bad! Newbie here... Should I have a mod move/delete this thread?

Yeah, I've seen this. It's really cool! My plan is to put the components in the "chest" area which is going to be the main computer case. This way I'll have more room for better parts. :]
I also don't want the head to get too heavy and potentially fall over.

Back