• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Lexmark Optra laser printer duplexer

woodchips

Experienced Member
Hi, I have an old Lexmark Optra laser printer from 20 odd years ago. It has been a good workhorse but fell out of use for 6 or 7 years, I am now trying to get it printing again.

Works fine single sided, but always gets a paper jam when printing duplex. The paper goes through the imaging unit, into the duplexer, and is then pulled out of the duplexer to be exactly positioned on the top of the special paper tray, then it jams. Sometimes the paper is fed a couple of inches more and then jams. It is amazing how complex the paper path, and paper drive, is on these printers.

What I am wondering is that the special duplexer paper tray has a drive to a shaft with a rubber roller on it. But in the centre of this shaft is a reduced diameter section. I am sure this doesn't take another drive roller, but looks more like a small spring steel something or the other. Inside the printer there are no matching grip rollers. I assume the one rubber roller just nudges the paper forward at the start of the duplex print, but what then does this spring, or whatever do?

Does anyone have an Optra with the duplex paper tray with this hole filled, with something please? A close up photo should allow me to decide what it is.

Thanks in advance.

I think I have answered my own question. The hole supports a steel spring lifting the shaft upwards.

Next question, where to get a service manual for the 4049 printers? There are lots supposedly available but all seem to be traps taking you somewhere you don't want to go?

Back