• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Google Update

Stone

10k Member
How do you deal with Google Update?

I had been ignoring it for the most part but as of a few days ago, after what was an update of Google Update, I noticed that some automated processes unrelated to anything Google seem to have ceased to function as they used to. Among these are keyboard initiated waking from sleep mode, mail checking during sleep mode, and the normal midnight system restore checkpoint creation (another automated, sleep mode operation). I reached this conclusion after checking the Reliability Monitor and noticed an install of Google Update Helper that seemed to correspond with the onset of this situation. The Reliability Monitor log has been an excellent source of insight into system problems in the past so I used it again to highlight some of the possibilities. I realize that the above enumerated problems are all sleep mode related but I don't think that sleep mode is the direct or actual culprit here, but rather Google Update's last update.

What do you recommend for Google Update? Kill it off entirely? If so, what's the best method? I've just crippled it by setting it to manual from auto and removing it from the startup sequence to see if that alleviates this situation so I haven't yet seen any results. But I'd still like to know whether it's better to just kill it completely (and how to do this effectively) and then be forced to get Chrome updates manually or whether it's unlikely that this is actually the culprit that I currently think it is.

Stone

If you are just concerned about sleep wake-up you might try this:

1) From the start tab enter CMD
2) Right click CMD and select "Run as administrator"
3) Enter powercfg/lastwake

You'll now be able to see the last thing that brought your PC out of sleep mode. Also, you may want to check your Event Viewer in Administrative Tools (can be intimidating at times).

Also, the flip side to this if it won't go to sleep is enter powercfg/requests for a list of what's preventing the PC form going to sleep.

I don't use Chrome because I think it carries too much overhead. I use Mozilla with Google as my search engine.

Hey, interesting stuff... thanks for the tip.

I'm beginning to question whether it's actually Google Update that started causing this stuff to happen or maybe something else got into the sleep mode operation procedure to cause it. I'll keep investigating along that line.

Hey, interesting stuff... thanks for the tip.

I'm beginning to question whether it's actually Google Update that started causing this stuff to happen or maybe something else got into the sleep mode operation procedure to cause it. I'll keep investigating along that line.

You may want to get inside and see what's really taking up the real estate. The below program will show you (in most cases) exactly what your system is up to. It lets you rip out all the crap and then will clean the leftovers and the registry and remove their directories and files. This is a freebee:

ZSoft Uninstaller
http://www.zsoft.dk

Also, Revo Uninstaller is similar and does a good job. Its always good to run CCleaner every once in awhile

I did a little more research and decided to clean out the Adobe Flash Cache since I had also done a Flash update on that day as well. I'm not sure, yet, but between the two of them, Google Update and Adobe, it seems to be behaving more normally now. I'lll probably know for sure tomorrow if it sucessfully sets a restore point overnight.

Back