• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel Above Board 16-bit card in 8-bit slot

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Hi people,

I hate to just drop in here and ask for some assistance after an unintentional long absence, but, I'm afraid that's what I'm doing.

I have an Above Board Plus I/O card w/2MB that someone wants to put in an 8-bit slot. I know it works fine in a 16-bit slot on an AT because I recently tested it in one

It looks like this.

As you see, it has the 8-bit jumper block socket and, from information gleaned from other threads on here, I put a dip-switch in the socket and set all the switches to ON.

It doesn't recognize the card at all.

Does anyone had the definitive switch settings for this board for proper operation in an XT?

TIA

Attachments

• IntelABPlus.jpg
    IntelABPlus.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
As you see, it has the 8-bit jumper block socket and, from information gleaned from other threads on here, I put a dip-switch in the socket and set all the switches to ON.

Yes, the original package came with a little jumper block that looked like a chip; you put it in the socket for an XT. All "jumpers" were on, if memory serves.

It doesn't recognize the card at all.

"It"? What doesn't recognize the card? The card doesn't print any messages on startup; you need to set it up via the software, which will configure the card and then install the EMS driver in config.sys.

I've made two versions of the software available here: ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Hardware/Intel

"It"? What doesn't recognize the card? The card doesn't print any messages on startup; you need to set it up via the software, which will configure the card and then install the EMS driver in config.sys.

He's probably referring to ABISA not detecting it.. He's testing the card that I bought from him (it's going in a Tandy 1000SX). He's going to try the on that I was looking at that implicitly mentions the PS/286 / Plus / Plus I/O, etc.. Apparently if you put in the shunt, when it's in 16bit mode, the machine won't even boot.. Weird.

Many thanks, Trixter.

I figured you for one of the people that would come up with a possible solution.

By "it", (I often forget that people can't read my mind), I meant the software.

It works fine in an AT class computer using ABISA.EXE, but, in an XT class computer it said that there WAS no Above Board.

Hopefully, one of these packages will get it running in the XT.

I'll certainly get back to you with the results.

Druid

Trixter, you're the Software Wizard....

The one package picked up the card right away and displayed the correct serial number, correct ports, etc.

I ran setboard and input the total AB card RAM, set up a couple of RAM disks and a printer buffer and it set up the autoexec and config.sys correctly. Basically, the card works like a hose.

I'm just going to run the board diagnostics for 24 hours and then off it goes.

Thanks for the quick assist, Trixter.

He's probably referring to ABISA not detecting it.. He's testing the card that I bought from him (it's going in a Tandy 1000SX). He's going to try the on that I was looking at that implicitly mentions the PS/286 / Plus / Plus I/O, etc.. Apparently if you put in the shunt, when it's in 16bit mode, the machine won't even boot.. Weird.

I'm a little curious about the overall length of your Intel AB. I assume that you have already installed it in the 1000SX and it fits okay? If so, which slot.

I'm a little curious about the overall length of your Intel AB. I assume that you have already installed it in the 1000SX and it fits okay? If so, which slot.

I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. Druid was able to fit it in his Tandy 1000TX, DataTrain DPC100 and Tandy 1200HD. I was concerned about the length too. It'll be a bit creative on which slot, since I'm getting a SmartWatch for it like I used to have, and the 'last slot' has an NE2K card in it. (yes, one of the few things that won't be 'original' about it).

and so.. it didn't happen... the SX is too short for the aboveboard, so it's on it's way back to Canada. :-( My only hope is to a) invent something myself, b) Try the board that 'pearce_jj' came up with, once a driver gets written. Granted, his maxes out at 2MByte. (which is what the aboveboard had)

and so.. it didn't happen... the SX is too short for the aboveboard, so it's on it's way back to Canada. :-( My only hope is to a) invent something myself, b) Try the board that 'pearce_jj' came up with, once a driver gets written. Granted, his maxes out at 2MByte. (which is what the aboveboard had)

Next question for you: What do you plan on doing with 2MB of memory in your SX, assuming you can get it configured to accept it? I'm sort of interested as I personally have never heard of it being done before on an SX. Doesn't mean it didn't or can't happen however. Good luck with your project.

Next question for you: What do you plan on doing with 2MB of memory in your SX, assuming you can get it configured to accept it? I'm sort of interested as I personally have never heard of it being done before on an SX. Doesn't mean it didn't or can't happen however. Good luck with your project.

Ramdisk mainly/caching. I'm not going ot be using CF or whatever for storage, i have an RLL drive/controller on the way from Druid.. I'm trying to keep the SX as 'non modern' as possible.. and esp since Flash eventually develops wear issues, if you're not using a wear-leveling filesystem (which FAT is certainly not).

Ramdisk mainly/caching. I'm not going ot be using CF or whatever for storage, i have an RLL drive/controller on the way from Druid.. I'm trying to keep the SX as 'non modern' as possible.. and esp since Flash eventually develops wear issues, if you're not using a wear-leveling filesystem (which FAT is certainly not).

You could use microdrives if you're concerned about the lack of wear-leveling.

Wear leveling is a greatly overstated problem when it comes to vintage machines, which have orders of magnitude less I/O than what CF cards were originally designed for. As anecdotal evidence, I've used both solid state and microdrives with my vintage machines since 2003 and the only card that ever failed was actually a microdrive (which surprised me).

The SX is a 7.16Mhz 8088, and as such you are not going to see too much improvement from disk caching; the RAM and CPU are too slow. If you want a real speedup on any 8088 platform, you should disable caching of any kind, up the BUFFERS= line in config.sys to 30 or more, and use the fastest I/O subsystem you can find (such as jj_pearce's controllers that support DMA transfers).

As I said, ramdisk mainly.. caching was a side thought.. I don't want to use flash in this machine (or a microdrive), the goal is keeping it as close to as it was when i had it before as possible. I had some sort of ramdrive back then.. I did not however have CF. I already put the buffers at 30. Anyways. The card is on it's way back, so back to other issues.

Back