• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The sculpture "Mainframe" shows how logic gates work

tezza

Veteran Member
I'm not really sure where to put this post so I hope this section is ok.

Some members might be intrigued to see this largely wooden sculpture showing the logic of gates expressed mechanically. From Auckland University (New Zealand).
http://youtu.be/GQ_JZgj9o9w

Tez

Some members might be intrigued to see this largely wooden sculpture showing the logic of gates expressed mechanically. From Auckland University (New Zealand).
I'm disappointed. I thought you had found evidence that the Maoris had long ago first conceived of the digital computer and had carved their ideas into wood. :)

Plenty of ideas and concepts were (and still are) carved into wood, but alas no schematics. :)

Tez

The former folks at Goodwill Computer Museum in Austin (Pretty much all of them left and formed the Museum of Computer Culture) built a relay based computer. Mostly for the same educational purpose I believe as you can watch (and of course hear) it calculating things away. Funny short story from one of the developers was that they got used to the clickity pattern of the relays so eventually you could hear it if it had an error.

Back