• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

operating sys

lfantene5298

I have a 20 year old gateway 2000. I am having trouble getting the operating system
I need help.

When you say you are having trouble getting an operating system what do you actually mean?

Is the system starting up with a message that it can't find the OS? Might just need a bios reset and/or cmos battery change if that's the case.

Or are you trying to source an OS to use on the system? Being a 1993-94 system Dos 6.x along with Windows/WfW 3.x aren't terribly hard to find. There's also FreeDos and DrDos that are readily available.

Last edited:
I looked on the WEB for documentation and couldn't find anything. A picture of the motherboard would be helpful. You may have one of those Dallas chips with the battery and BIOS on the same chip.
I have a couple of Gateway 2000 machines and had quite a bit of trouble finding information on them. Rather odd considering how many of them were sold.

I gotta say.. I had many Gateway 2000 PC come across my bench in the early 90s and mid 90s..
For their model numbers, I recall the innards could vary greatly.. their PCs would have very similar specs, but the motherboard and cards would vary.

You're in need of sharing *a lot* more information in your posts.
With one sentence posts, we're guessing it *may* be a battery under many assumed circumstances, but it's just as likely it's not the problem.
What do you see on your screen when you turn it on?

FWIW, you do *not* need a battery to boot the computer. It's only a convenience so you don't need to enter the hardware particulars every time you turn the machine on. If it won't boot now it won't boot with a new battery either.

My Gateway 486-66 had a larger brick battery attached to the frame and cabled to motherboard which cost about $15 to replace. There was also a second connector which would allow the usage a different battery. If you bought the system used, the previous owner might have removed a detachable battery. With good pictures, many here could quickly identify the battery model used or point you to an alternate battery that would also work. Or if you can find the manufacturer of the motherboard and related model that would point out what is most likely. Gateway had 486 motherboards made by Anigma and Intel and probably others.

Ok I am new at this so here goes
When I got this comp.home, I turned it on
It came on with win 3.1 and dos 6.2 It worked
perfect but. The floppy drive did not work.
So I took it out and put in a floppy drive that I knew worked
I then turned the pc on. When it tried to boot up it said
Cannot find operating system
I then went into the bios
Everything was perfect
All the information was there
I don't know what to do

Since you put in a floppy drive that works try booting from a floppy disk. Then you can examine the HD for any problems that might have arisen.

Ok I am new at this so here goes
When I got this comp.home, I turned it on
It came on with win 3.1 and dos 6.2 It worked
perfect but. The floppy drive did not work.
So I took it out and put in a floppy drive that I knew worked
I then turned the pc on. When it tried to boot up it said
Cannot find operating system
I then went into the bios
Everything was perfect
All the information was there
I don't know what to do

In the BIOS, check that there is a hard drive detected - if not try and auto-detect it.
If it doesn't appear then check your cables haven't been knocked out slightly.

gateway 2000

gateway 2000

How do you detect your hard drive in the bios

Last edited:
Back