• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So I bought a PCI 486 board...

If you're running an OS that support USB you should be okay. You will need to check the USB PCI and see what drivers are available. There may be some solutions kicking around for USB/DOS but I haven't had the gumption to get into yet. As far as the case, if you can cram it in there it ought to work. A possible bottleneck would be the type of P/S and the location of the on/off switch on your case. Of course you can always get creative there. Good luck with your project
I plan to try Windows 98, Windows 2000 (I know it would be super slow) and Linux

All of which should have reasonable USB support. I wonder if I will have to inject 3.3v though
When you say 'fit' do you mean dimensions or connections? Even if the dimensions are OK the connections are not. AFAIK, an ATX case has (among other design inconsistancies) a PSU connector that does not match an AT connector on the motherboard.
I have an AT supply that I can use. Not so sure about the other things

Is that AT PSU from a desktop or a tower case?

AT cases were, at least, roughly the same design with regard to expansion ports, etc. ATX cases have quite a bit of variability in that regard. So from a headache's point of view the AT case will be markedly simpler on you. :)

a PSU connector that does not match an AT connector on the motherboard.

True, but an AT P/S will fit most ATX cases. Also, AT P/S rail adapters are readily available for a few dollars. On/Off is a small engineering hitch though, and may require a small amount of creativity (unless the 486 MB is very advanced).

Is that AT PSU from a desktop or a tower case?

AT cases were, at least, roughly the same design with regard to expansion ports, etc. ATX cases have quite a bit of variability in that regard. So from a headache's point of view the AT case will be markedly simpler on you. :)

Its fairly small so I guess its from a tower but I really don't know.

I just unpacked the board and its even better then I thought.
It has the original manuals and driver floppies and two sticks of RAM (unknown size)

And oh so many jumpers. It also appears to support LBA

Now if I only knew where my spare CPU went arghhhh

Attachments

• 100_1689.jpg
    100_1689.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2
But the ATX case has PS/2 mouse/keyboard ports as well as other non-compatable I/O port headers with regard to that board.

But the ATX case has PS/2 mouse/keyboard ports as well as other non-compatable I/O port headers with regard to that board.

That is true. Unfortunately I have no idea where to get an AT case

One thing that is unexpected is the AT power connectors fit in both orders and I don't know which is correct

--edit---
I assume it is safe to power it on withoiut a CPU in it?

Last edited:
A couple of my AT towers I got cheaply on our version of ebay, for the sake of upgrades motherboards kept coming out in AT with Pentium, Celeron, K6, K6-2 etc - so sometimes you'll spot a $10 Pentium machine that's actually in a nice 486 era case. On one occasion I also saved one from a dumpster, had a Pentium 200 inside.

Easy to spot, bigger power switches. Extra points if you find one with an LCD readout.

A couple of my AT towers I got cheaply on our version of ebay, for the sake of upgrades motherboards kept coming out in AT with Pentium, Celeron, K6, K6-2 etc - so sometimes you'll spot a $10 Pentium machine that's actually in a nice 486 era case. On one occasion I also saved one from a dumpster, had a Pentium 200 inside.

Easy to spot, bigger power switches. Extra points if you find one with an LCD readout.
I guess I will have to scour ebay. Sometimes the thrift store has some cases they usually go to scrap but I think they are always ATX
There is also a computer recycling place about 20 miles away. I guess I will have to ask them. I got 30 pin simms for $1 each there last time I went

Back