• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple /// archives

I have some disks to archive but don't want to upload duplicates. I have a few dozen apple /// titles, many could be missing from these sites.

b

It looks like the Washington Apple PI is covered already. I will get started. Only thing...I have a catweasel so these will need to be converted into DSK or whatever format. I have to experiment with the disks, make sure I can write, and then make a copy that boots, etc.

It looks like the Washington Apple PI is covered already. I will get started. Only thing...I have a catweasel so these will need to be converted into DSK or whatever format.
I'm pretty sure they do an export to DSK. I also have one, but I use it for much more esoteric formats than Disk II. :) It's like using a bazooka to shoot an ant...

but extremely fast...

UPDATE - not so fast. I can image but I can't seem to make a bootable apple /// disk. I will come back to this.

Last edited:
It looks like the Washington Apple PI is covered already.

They are missing certain magazines also btw on their main site. There's a seller on ebay who has a few years that they're missing for sale. I suggested he reach out to them as a possible charity case or they might be willing to buy. I only received a response of "ok" so doubt that'll happen.

They are missing certain magazines also btw on their main site. There's a seller on ebay who has a few years that they're missing for sale. I suggested he reach out to them as a possible charity case or they might be willing to buy. I only received a response of "ok" so doubt that'll happen.

I guess for now I will leave it as - if anyone wants a particular disk that is missing from the archives on the sites above, let me know and I will see if I have it. It seems like a lot of these groups have duplicates of each others' disks as well.

I wasn't looking to start another project, I want to stay on the catweasel/imagedisk thing for now, but I was *hoping* I could also do Apple /// disks with it. Seems like the answer for now is maybe you can, but everyone does ADT so why bother?

It seems like a lot of these groups have duplicates of each others' disks as well.

Are they literally identical copies?
If you're imaging process is fast, do it and scan the diskette labels. It doesn't hurt anything to have an image available from another source.
I do this all the time, image EVERY copy of a diskette CHM has, even if it is LABELED the same.

True...but I have all of the original disks from these sources. I can check most. But where talking a huge job you have to balance. I literally have the orig disks the archive and CD's that are floating around were made from. Just want to complete the rest. When I can.

But where talking a huge job you have to balance.

At least publish a catalog it all then. I don't know how much patience either side would have for playing guessing games of what you do or don't have.
If we get a request for something that isn't cataloged, I will very rarely look for it just because of how long that takes (any where from hours to days).

I'm painfully aware of how long all of this takes. I have two moving dollys from a several thousand disk Apple II/Mac donation I've been spending a
few hours a week on for over a year.

The catalogs are already posted. I.e. Washington PI disks...are in the same order as I have them in their boxes. Very well organized.

I have imaged and posted my commodore library which is probably bigger than my Apple ///, but both are huge. It just take time, don't mind spending it. It's our thing, right? These disks won't last forever.

What I was originally writing about however is that I wanted to see if I could use my catweasel to do the work. It seems like I can image the disks but I have not yet found a way to write them back to disk, making the images useless if I can't prove the process works. I can image and re-copy many other formats so I am hoping I just need to find the right combo of settings.

b

What I was originally writing about however is that I wanted to see if I could use my catweasel to do the work.

Probably not in the general case. I suspect A III disks will have all the wonky problems that A II imaging has due to off-track copy protection.

Back