• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ajcc's Computer Adventures

ajcc

Experienced Member
Hi guys!,

So during the last two years I've managed to find some old SUN Microsystems computers, all given to me by very generous people. Since they're old now, time goes fast! I thought someone might be interested in my bad habit of carrying heavy computers home by bus.

My latest one is a SUN IPX (given to me by pontus on the forum, thank you again!). The reason I start with this SUN is because of the SUN IPC I had years ago, which I picked up some 80 km (50 miles) from home, with a huge black&white CRT. When I got back to my hometown I had my bike parked right next to the bus stop, took the IPC in my rucksack (backpack), the CD-player and keyboard in a fabric bag and the monitor on the rear rack on my bicycle. Sadly I never got to play with it for very long as the hard drive crashed, and I was stupid enough to throw it away some years later after it haven't booted (or shown any signs of life).

Que the future of today:
100_0928.jpg

Yes, I did actually carry all those drives with me on the bus! Although one of the hard drive cabinets was really heavy and had to go into the rucksack, so I couldn't carry the IPX in my rucksack this time around. (There was also a SGI Indy carried along with all that, but more on that in a later thread).

And today I finally managed to get around building a custom null-modem cable for the IPX (No modem for you!). I bought a Macintosh to Modem cable at a thrift shop earlier this week, 10 minutes before closing because I had to work late that day. Since I had used one of those cables with my IPC, I knew they worked, although that time around I hooked it up to a null-modem cable. As it turns out the Makers of Macintosh Modem Adapter Cables(tm) didn't wire up anything that wasn't required for talking to a modem. Being a bit confused by this, I started to slowly accept the fact that I couldn't do any handshaking. After some thinking I concluded that the null-modem cable I used to have, must have just terminated the ends into themselves and didn't actually include any wires for handshaking (and those cables were expensive too!).

Here's soldered up the cable before the grey plastic shell was mounted:
100_0938.jpg

And it worked! (I checked everything a couple of times, and then another time...)

Code:
EPROM Checksum Test 
Power-Up State Test 
Context Register Bit Test 
Context Register Addressing Test 
Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000000 
Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000001 
Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000002 
Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000003 
Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000004 
Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000005 
Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000006 
Segment Map RAM MATS Pattern Test, Context 00000007 
Page Map RAM MATS Pattern Test 
Limit 0 Register Test 
Counter Interrupt Level 10 Test 
Limit 1 Register Test 
Counter Interrupt Level 14 Test 
WARNING: Unable to determine keyboard type
Synchronous Error Reg Test 
Synchronous Error Virtual Address Reg Test 
Asynchronous Error Reg Test 
Asynchronous Error Virtual Address Reg Test 
Asynchronous Error Data Reg1 Test 
Asynchronous Error Data Reg2 Test 
System Enable Register Bit Test 
Cache Data RAM MATS Pattern Test 
Cache Tag RAM MATS Pattern Test 
PTE Access Bit Test 
PTE Modify Bit Test 
PTE Write-Protect Bit Test 
PTE Write-Invalid Bit Test 
PTE Read-Invalid Bit Test 
PTE Type 2 Space Bit Test 
PTE Type 3 Space Bit Test 
Synchronous Timeout Test 
Asynchronous Timeout Test 
**** 16 MegaBytes Found in Address Range 0x00000000 to 0x00ffffff ****
**** 16 MegaBytes Found in Address Range 0x01000000 to 0x01ffffff ****
**** 16 MegaBytes Found in Address Range 0x02000000 to 0x02ffffff ****
**** 16 MegaBytes Found in Address Range 0x03000000 to 0x03ffffff ****
DRAM Word MATS Pattern Test (0x00fe0000 - 0x01000000) 
Parity/Memory Control Registers Bit Test 
33-bit SIMM Parity Test 
Interrupt Register Test 
Software Interrupt Level 1 Test 
Software Interrupt Level 4 Test 
Software Interrupt Level 6 Test 
NVRAM Access Test 
    FAILURE: NVRAM (f2000003) Battery Failure, Exp = 000000aa, Obs = 00000055Setting Segment Map
Setting RAM Parity Mode
 Mode set to 33-bit
Sizing Memory
Mapping ROM
Mapping RAM
Probing /sbus@1,f8000000 at 0,0  dma esp sd st le 
Probing /sbus@1,f8000000 at 1,0  Nothing there
Probing /sbus@1,f8000000 at 2,0  Nothing there
Probing /sbus@1,f8000000 at 3,0  cgsix 
Can't open input device.
SPARCstation IPX, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.3, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #16777215.
Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, Host ID: ffffffff.

The IDPROM contents are invalid

Power-On SelfTest FAILED ... Replace TOD/NVRAM

Testing  64 megs of memory. Still to go   64  63  62  61  60  59  58  57  56  55  54  53  52  51  50  49  48  47  46  45  44  43  42  41  40  39  38  37  36  35  34  33  32  31  30  29  28  27  26  25  24  23  22  21  20  19  18  17  16  15  14  13  12  11  10   9   8   7   6   5   4   3   2   1   0

SBus slot 0 le esp dma 
SBus slot 1 
SBus slot 2 
SBus slot 3 cgsix 

Initializing  48 megs of memory at addr  1000000  47  46  45  44  43  42  41  40  39  38  37  36  35  34  33  32  31  30  29  28  27  26  25  24  23  22  21  20  19  18  17  16  15  14  13  12  11  10   9   8   7   6   5   4   3   2   1   0                                                                 Initializing  16 megs of memory at addr        0  15  14  13  12  11  10   9   8   7   6   5   4   3   2   1   0                                                                 
Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)
>b
Boot device: /sbus/le@0,c00000   File and args: 
Internal loopback test -- 
Did not receive expected loopback packet.
Can't open boot device

Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)
>n
Type  help  for more information
ok

Maxed out RAM!, thank you pontus!
And there you go! It's alive! :) It's really quiet too before the harddrive gets to spin up.
100_0925.jpg

There's also a cat sleeping inside.
100_0931.jpg

Someone have piggy backed on some large AA-batteries onto the NVRAM, unfortunately they are empty (the self discharge rate of those puppies must be quite high!).
100_0930.jpg

The hard drive is from a Compaq:
Code:
ok probe-scsi
Target 0 
  Unit 0   Disk     COMPAQ  ST12550N        322300425332Copyright (c) 1994 Seagate All rights reserved 0000

It didn't boot :(
Code:
ok boot /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@0,0
Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@0,0   File and args: 
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open Sun disk label package
Can't open boot device

And that's how far I've got.

A look at the Ultra 1 - A quick fan replacement

A look at the Ultra 1 - A quick fan replacement

I was at the shop today and somehow forgot to pickup some new AA-batteries for the IPX. So while I wait for the stores to open again, I thought I'd fix that ceased up fan in my Ultra 1.

It's a standard size 50x50x10mm fan running of 12V. So I checked my junk bin for a replacement (it's really more like a wardrobe full of old computer parts). I found these two suspects mounted onto two Pentium III 450MHz cpus, the hours I've spent compiling packages from NetBSD's pkgsrc on those! So I checked the fans health with a 9V battery and then I got going.
100_0939.jpg

Here's the ceased up fan resting inside the Ultra 1.
100_0940.jpg

Getting it out is easy! Unscrew four long screws. Unscrew the two screws at the back holding the PSU, slide it forward and lift it out of the way. Unplug any sbus cards that are in the way and gently pull the fan connector out and slide the fan out.
100_0942.jpg

Then I checked once again that the holes really do line up, that they are indeed the same size fans and run on the same voltage. Sadly I couldn't access the solder points at the Titan fan so I had to cut the leads and join them to the old fan's leads. Not as neat but it will have to do (since I couldn't figure out how to get the connectors out of the molex plug).

Done!
100_0946.jpg

Great success! No fires!
Spinning happily inside the Ultra 1 :)
100_0947.jpg

Now I just have to build a new DB25 to DE9 null-modem cable. I gave my last one away with the Ultra 60 I picked up and gave to my little brother (he's studying engineering so I thought he needed some motivation/inspiration). The Ultra 1 and most of the SUNs use female DB25 connectors for the serial ports (the IPX and IPC being the exceptions). Your everyday 90's PC use male DB25 connectors. I think you can just use a sex-changing adapter if you want to make life easy, but I'm not a 100% sure it's true for all the combined A/B serial ports.

Anyway, that's just another update on my SUN adventures.

Another look at the Ultra 1 - Booting it up!

Another look at the Ultra 1 - Booting it up!

So this morning I soldered up a new null-modem cable for the Ultra 1 (and also the two SPARCstation 5s I'll talk about later).

All done!, a tip if you're going to build any custom cables, is to draw the wiring diagram the way you're actually looking at the connector while soldering. It makes life a lot easier! This time around I used grey wire for RTS->CTS, red for CD->DSR-DTR and a clear shrink tube for the shield. Looks neat! :) The same looped back handshaking lines as with the IPX's cable, this is just to avoid locking up the software/drivers because they are waiting for a CTS, CD and DTR, it can't be used for doing any handshaking.
100_0949.jpg

All the pinouts are sourced from sunhelp's page on Serial Port & Cable Pinouts and the null-modem information from Lammert Bies page on RS232 serial null modem cable wiring. I used the same sources for the IPX cable as well.

Here's the information on the system:
Code:
Sun Ultra 1 SBus (UltraSPARC 143MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.1, 192 MB memory installed, Serial #15728639.
Ethernet address ff:ff:ef:ff:ed:ff, Host ID: ffefffff.

The IDPROM contents are invalid

Another dead nvram? :(
I found out that the system haven't been booted in >10 years!

Next up will probably be installing NetBSD onto the IPX, and to find a way to fix the nvram in the Ultra1. Maybe a similar solution to the one inside IPX?

Here is how to fix the IDPROM: http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
even if that batter y is dead, you can "fix" the IDPROM everytime you power on the machine, and have it work (well, it worked for my SS2 at least).

Yes, it worked well! :) I wonder how many SUNs have the same ethernet address and host id.
Strange that it didn't mention how to reset the password, more on that later.

Did some work on the IPX today

Did some work on the IPX today

So it's been a while but I finally got around to work on the IPX today. Was going to install OpenBSD on it but I found out it have a AUI connector for the ethernet. Bummer!, so I have to get one of those AUI to TP adapters.

Anyway, I switched out the large 2xAA battery adapter to a small CR2032 holder, mostly because I want the cheap lithium cells with their low self discharge.
100_0985.jpg
Turned out really neat!

100_0987.jpg
And it worked!, it was even nice enough to setup the security mode to highest and put some garbage as the password...

But I couldn't figure out how to reset the password, need to enter the ok> promt. NetBSD had a FAQ with mentioned that you had to pull the NVRAM when it asked for the password, press return, and put it back in again. And then change the password, with no mention on how to :/ I didn't feel like doing that.

After some more searching I managed to find a FAQ that told you to boot the SPARC without the NVRAM and put it back in after you've got to the ok> promt. It was scary but it worked!, and I could now follow the NVRAM FAQ to set the ethernet adress and hostid. Still, no real clue on how to reset the password.

After a lot of searching I managed to find a comment on a mailing list, saying that after you've figured out the password you could boot the system and use the operating systems tool to change the NVRAMs values.
The values were security-mode and security-password, that looks a lot like something the NVRAM would take directly.

So, to reset the password in NVRAM you'd have to:
  • Pull the NVRAM from the unpowered machine.
  • Wait for it to boot into the ok> promt.
  • Carefully put the NVRAM back in.
  • set-defaults (if you didn't do this before)
  • set-defaults (the FAQ tells you to do it twice)
  • setenv security-mode none

If you want to, you can set a password, but it will never ask for it :)

So that's were I'm at. Next up would be fixing the NVRAM in the Ultra1.

Nice work mounting the cell holder on the NVRAM chip. I could not find a suitable button cell holder so used a slightly larger lithium cell hard-wired which should give me about 20 years life.

I have a SparcClassic with the matching CDROM, tape drive and hard disk enclosures. Also have an IPC and Ultra1. I just finished replacing the 5V caps on the IPC as they were leaking. Would suggest you track down Solaris 2.5.1 for the IPX, it looks much nicer and will run faster than OpenBSD.

P8180181.jpg

Nice work mounting the cell holder on the NVRAM chip. I could not find a suitable button cell holder so used a slightly larger lithium cell hard-wired which should give me about 20 years life.

I have a SparcClassic with the matching CDROM, tape drive and hard disk enclosures. Also have an IPC and Ultra1. I just finished replacing the 5V caps on the IPC as they were leaking. Would suggest you track down Solaris 2.5.1 for the IPX, it looks much nicer and will run faster than OpenBSD.

View attachment 19730

Thanks!, and that's a neat stack! The Classic is a machine I'd like to find. Do you have tapes for that drive?, what's the capacity on those?

I had an IPC years ago, neat little machine although very slow and limited memory (40MB I think?). I'm also working on getting my Ultra1 up and running, I've replaced the battery in the NVRAM last night so I can boot it over network. Actually have the same SCSI cabinet and CD-rom drive as you do, although mine isn't working, and I don't have the SCSI cable required either.

Might to a write-up on my SCSI hardware once I find some cables and can test the drives out.

100_0993.jpg
Here's the modified NVRAM from the Ultra1, was going to do a write-up but it went without troubles. Although it still says the IDPROMs content is invalid, have to check up on that.

Hm, have to think about the Solaris alternative. Don't really know any SUN users so perhaps if I get to know some in the future that might be an alternative. With OpenBSD I can manage to get around on my own :)

Its too bad that you live so far away. If I stacked my IPC, IPX, LX, and Classic CPU and all of the disks and tapes it would be about 10 meters high. I send about 250 kg of Sun equipment to gold reclamation about a year ago.

I still have some interesting systems, like a SC2000-E.

Its too bad that you live so far away. If I stacked my IPC, IPX, LX, and Classic CPU and all of the disks and tapes it would be about 10 meters high. I send about 250 kg of Sun equipment to gold reclamation about a year ago.

I still have some interesting systems, like a SC2000-E.

Yeah, that's what most people tell me when I say I like the old SPARCstations. But maybe that's a good limiting factor on the growth rate of my SUN collection :) But I have to ask, how much gold is there in 250 kilos of Suns?

Do you know what your SPARCcenter 2000-E used to do? I've only heard from people who used Sun machines as webbservers, they got them second hand.

Yes, it worked well! :) I wonder how many SUNs have the same ethernet address and host id.

I don't know - I was lucky enough to have saved a "screenshot" of my machine with those details before the battery died, so I simply look up the correct values. :)

Do you know what your SPARCcenter 2000-E used to do? I've only heard from people who used Sun machines as webbservers, they got them second hand.

I have no idea what it was originally used for. It only had half of the processor boards when I got it, but I eventually found enough to fill it. Finding enough SM81-2 processors was a little difficult. It came with a single Fibre Channel Storage Array, that I think holds 30x 2 MB disks. I have another, possible two more storage arrays for it.

My Ultra is a rebranded system sold as a medical-imaging solution, but I wiped it and reinstalled on account of getting it thirdhand without the root password, so I never got a look at whatever software they had on it.

... Actually have the same SCSI cabinet and CD-rom drive as you do, although mine isn't working, and I don't have the SCSI cable required either.
My CD had a jammed cassette when I got it. Getting that out was easy but it still didn't work and would just jam again. I ended up taking the ridiculously-complex mechanism completely apart and reassembling it, at which point it started working perfectly. No doubt you are aware of how to remove the covers on those peripheral boxes?

The tape drive is an Exabyte type of 2.5 GB. I have only two cartridges but can probably still buy more. It's very quiet compared to a QIC type.

Every '90s Unix workstation owner needs a few SCSI-II external cables and terminators on hand, should be relatively easy to find!

I think the NVRAM checksum error is documented in a FAQ. I've changed all my NVRAM batteries on SUNs without issue, but on my other machines the chip is soldered in place.

Hi ajcc.

Very nice work on the NVRAM battery, much much nicer than the clunky AA setup. It came to me that way.

Glad to see it went to a good home.

Glad to see that you guys are enjoying reading about my SUN machines! :)

I don't know - I was lucky enough to have saved a "screenshot" of my machine with those details before the battery died, so I simply look up the correct values. :)

That's probably the best solution. Might ask the guy who gave me the Ultra1 if he got something similar laying around. Will have to backup the values on my two SS fives.

I have no idea what it was originally used for. It only had half of the processor boards when I got it, but I eventually found enough to fill it. Finding enough SM81-2 processors was a little difficult. It came with a single Fibre Channel Storage Array, that I think holds 30x 2 MB disks. I have another, possible two more storage arrays for it.

Wow, that's a lot of SuperSPARC cpus! I got a ton of drives from pontus and my Dell switch got Fibre Channel ports so I kinda want to put a Fibre Channel sbus card into the IPX just for the laughs :)

60 GB must have cost a fortune back then!

My Ultra is a rebranded system sold as a medical-imaging solution, but I wiped it and reinstalled on account of getting it thirdhand without the root password, so I never got a look at whatever software they had on it.

Hm, that's quite neat never the less. I presume it came with a good graphics card then? I picked up a Ultra60 Creator 3D box almost a year ago, but it had lost it's Creator 3D card along the way. That machine lives with my little brother so I hope he'll put it into good use.

My CD had a jammed cassette when I got it. Getting that out was easy but it still didn't work and would just jam again. I ended up taking the ridiculously-complex mechanism completely apart and reassembling it, at which point it started working perfectly. No doubt you are aware of how to remove the covers on those peripheral boxes?

The tape drive is an Exabyte type of 2.5 GB. I have only two cartridges but can probably still buy more. It's very quiet compared to a QIC type.

Every '90s Unix workstation owner needs a few SCSI-II external cables and terminators on hand, should be relatively easy to find!

I think the NVRAM checksum error is documented in a FAQ. I've changed all my NVRAM batteries on SUNs without issue, but on my other machines the chip is soldered in place.

Yeah, had to look it up though. Almost figured it out when I saw the springs on the other side of the wholes. Quite a neat construction! Maybe it's hope for my drive then. When I get a nice calm weekend I'll give it a go. Can't remember if my other SCSI CD-rom drives are the correct 4k(?) block type.

Have to keep an eye out for Exabyte (Data8?) tapes, in case I stumble upon a tape drive.

Hi ajcc.

Very nice work on the NVRAM battery, much much nicer than the clunky AA setup. It came to me that way.

Glad to see it went to a good home.

Thanks again for the machines and drives! :)

Hm, that's quite neat never the less. I presume it came with a good graphics card then? I picked up a Ultra60 Creator 3D box almost a year ago, but it had lost it's Creator 3D card along the way. That machine lives with my little brother so I hope he'll put it into good use.
I haven't opened it up for a look, but I think it's a Creator 2D (there wouldn't have been much point in adding 3D acceleration to something intended specifically for viewing X-rays and the like. Though the extra video RAM might've been useful for enabling very high-resolution displays in true color.)

Been quiet for a while, but Sparky is now booting NetBSD 6.1.5 :), although the BootPROM isn't the latest and I had to use an older secondary bootloader to boot it, but that's another issue. It took almost half and hour to generate the SSH-keys, such speed!

Here's the dmesg:

Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
The NetBSD Foundation, Inc. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

NetBSD 6.1.5 (GENERIC)
total memory = 65440 KB
avail memory = 59356 KB
timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
bootpath: /sbus0/esp@0,800000/sd@0,0
mainbus0 (root): SUNW,Sun 4/50: hostid 57c0ffee
cpu0 at mainbus0: W8601/8701 or MB86903 @ 40 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu0: cache chip bug; trap page uncached
cpu0: 64K byte write-through, 32 bytes/line, hw flush: cache enabled
memreg0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf4000000
clock0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf2000000: mk48t02
timer0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf3000000 ipl 10: delay constant 18, frequency = 1000000 Hz
timecounter: Timecounter "timer-counter" frequency 1000000 Hz quality 100
auxreg0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7400003
zs0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf1000000 ipl 12 softpri 6
zstty0 at zs0 channel 0 (console i/o)
zstty1 at zs0 channel 1
zs1 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf0000000 ipl 12 softpri 6
zstty4 at zs1 channel 0
kbd0 at zstty4
zstty5 at zs1 channel 1
ms0 at zstty5
wsmouse0 at ms0 mux 0
audioamd0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7201000 ipl 13 softpri 4
audio0 at audioamd0: full duplex, playback, capture
sbus0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf8000000: clock = 20 MHz
dma0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x400000: DMA rev 1+
esp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x800000 level 3: ESP100A, 20MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus0 at esp0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
le0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0xc00000 level 5: address 08:00:20:c0:ff:ee
le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
cgsix0 at sbus0 slot 3 offset 0x0 level 7: SUNW,501-1672, 1152 x 900, rev 5
cgsix0: attached to /dev/fb0
cgsix0: framebuffer size: 1 MB
wsdisplay1 at cgsix0 kbdmux 1
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay1
fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 ipl 11 softpri 4: chip 82072
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
timecounter: Timecounter "clockinterrupt" frequency 100 Hz quality 0
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
wskbd0 at kbd0 mux 1
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <COMPAQ, ST12550N, 3223> disk fixed
sd0: 2006 MB, 2708 cyl, 19 head, 79 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4110000 sectors
sd0: sync (248.00ns offset 15), 8-bit (4.032MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing
sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <SEAGATE, ST32550N SUN2.1G, 0412> disk fixed
sd1: 2048 MB, 3511 cyl, 11 head, 108 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4194995 sectors
sd1: sync (248.00ns offset 15), 8-bit (4.032MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing
kbd0: reset failed
wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay1
Kernelized RAIDframe activated
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs