• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

File transfer with AT&T 7300

antiquekid3

Veteran Member
I now have a fresh install of SVR3 3.5 on a 20 MB drive, but have a couple of issues.

I'm missing the first floppy in the Development Set. More specifically: UNIX* Utilities Development Set (1), 103102-MSI ver. 3.0, 6 of 14. Thus, I can't get the C compiler installed just yet. So, if anyone has an image available online of that in ImageDisk format, that'd be much appreciated. A bit of searching has yet to turn up anything regarding original system disks.

Next, I'm completely clueless how to even `cu` another system with the RS-232 port. Despite flipping through the man pages, I can't seem to figure out what device to use. I've used `cu` on OS X and Linux before, with devices like /dev/cu.usbserial1 or something of the sort. What should I be looking for on this system? I would like to play around with some of the terminal emulation that this is capable of and perhaps get some ASCII files transferred that way.

Brian Stuart ported gcc to the 7300/3B1, and I'd like to get that on the machine, but currently with moving and all, my PC with a 5.25" drive in it is packed away. I have the 7300 on the kitchen table to play with though.

I know Kermit seems to be a preferred file transfer mechanism, but the only binaries I see are for 3.51. Will they still work under 3.5?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Whee. Now this brings back memories.

Do you have a combo card with two RS-232 ports (and 1.5MB of RAM as I recall)?

3.51 is a relatively minor update to 3.5, again as I recall. It's been a really long time since I had a 3B1. The comp.sys.sb1 FAQ (part 1: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.3b1/Ez49dO4B3YE and part2: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.3b1/BtL3XkmVQ4w) is a great resource. Anything on the 'net that says '3B1' works fine with a 7300. I don't know if you have seen the google groups resource for comp.sys.3b1, but you can get there directly from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.sys.3b1 (side note: John Bunch and Thad Floryan are still out there, after all these years......)

I frequently used uucp for file transfer, but rzsz has been ported, and I used same when dialing up to regular BBS. I also ran C-news on the 3B1, primarily to get comp.sys.3b1 directly and have an archive.....

EDIT: Please also see http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/ATT/unixPC/

And I'm looking for a mirror of the OSU-CIS 3B1 archives.....

Last edited:
I don't have any such combo card, just a 512kB expansion card.

I'm just not sure if software intended for 3.51 will work on 3.5. It sounds like it would be backwards compatible, but not sure about the other way. I suppose it would be worth a try. I need to get my 5.25" drive dug out and reconnected to my PC.

bitsavers doesn't have any development software for 3.5, which is a shame. Perhaps if I find the missing disk, I'll upload what I have to bitsavers.

Still looking to figure out `cu` and other serial port curiosities. Is spawning `getty` on the serial port pretty straightforward? Again, I've done these things under Linux, but device names are a little clearer there than on this Unix machine.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

I have a set of 3.5 disks that I can image for you if you need them. I haven't done it yet because I figured nobody would want 3.5 instead of 3.51, which is already available online.

But, oddly it seems like we have different versions of the 3.5 disks. Here's my "UNIX Utilities Development Set (Disk 1)" floppy:

utils1.jpg

This claims to be 3.5, but it sounds like you're looking for v. 3.0, so this might not be useful for you. Let me know if it is! I'll be happy to make images for you.

-Twylo

I have a set of 3.5 disks that I can image for you if you need them. I haven't done it yet because I figured nobody would want 3.5 instead of 3.51, which is already available online.

But, oddly it seems like we have different versions of the 3.5 disks. Here's my "UNIX Utilities Development Set (Disk 1)" floppy:

This claims to be 3.5, but it sounds like you're looking for v. 3.0, so this might not be useful for you. Let me know if it is! I'll be happy to make images for you.

It didn't even occur to me that the 3.0 I was seeing was referring to the same type of versioning as my 3.5 install! In that case, perhaps I should just get some floppies together and make it run 3.51. No reason why not, really.

But thanks for the offer!

Kyle

For devices, look for /dev/cu* and /dev/tty* files.
If your version of unix has the 'tty' command use that to figure out which ttys are your terminal / console. Remove that (and other with the same naming scheme) from your search.
Next, use the stty command on your suspected serial port devices, like stty -f /dev/<device>
If it shows parameters resembling "normal" serial parameters (baud rate and so on) you have a candidate.
Note if you use a serial cable with only three wires, you probably need to turn off hardware handshaking: stty -f <device> -crtscts
Hope this helps.

Back