• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help identify 286 motherboard

There's another 4-pin J7 which might be for the speaker. Also I notice a bit of corrosion below the battery, maybe make sure everything is clean and there are no broken corroded traces around there.
If you mean the area around J2, no that's just dust. The battery doesn't appear to have done any particular damage to the board itself. There was a bit on the nearby solder joints, but that was easily cleaned, and the ones I have tested does appear to be working right.

You could try checking if J2 is connected to the battery connectors, and connect three 1.2V cells to it, maybe it needs a battery to POST. Or connect them to the old battery connectors directly.
Already tried a battery to the original solder joints :(

Who knows what your 286 board has bounced through the past 25 years or so, static damage etc etc.....:D
Since it had never been used when I got it, hopefully not too much ;)

Thanks anyway.

Btw, I think I have found out how to make the keyboard blink continously - Pretty sure it's when I turn it on again too quickly after shutting off. Probably makes the BIOS/POST go whack...

I have one very similar to this in my portable 286 box. Also very vague about who made it but it says "ELT-286B" on it.

did you ever find out what it was as i have the same board that was in a tandata plasma luggable that im fixing.

ok i got mine to post and it is a TMC board but before i could get a pic of the bios screen the psu went (caps went) waiting for caps to arive to fix and will do a screen shot of it.. the second pic shows the speaker connection as i got the speaker beep from it.

Attachments

• 286-10-f1.jpg
    286-10-f1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 286-10-f3.jpg
    286-10-f3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 286-10-f4.jpg
    286-10-f4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 4
ok i got mine to post and it is a TMC board but before i could get a pic of the bios screen the psu went (caps went) waiting for caps to arive to fix and will do a screen shot of it.. the second pic shows the speaker connection as i got the speaker beep from it.
Hello, this is a little late to reply since your last post, but did you get the details on the TMC board? I have the same board I am trying to repair right now and would love to know what TMC board it is to get the jumper settings. I'm going to pull and dump the bios and see if I can get further detail from a text editor. Any info you have on this TMC PAT-7.2A or Y-7.2A board would be helpful. Also, my board came from an ARCHE RIVAL 286 computer and was featured in a Jul 1988 PC Magazine article.

Back