• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Want to see what's on a couple Computer Cassettes I found?

luvit

Experienced Member
I scored a couple Radio Shack C-20 cassettes from a retired teacher.
Anything could be on them.. TRS-80, Commodore, etc... or they were used for audio.
If I convert the recordings to MP3 are there any Commodore and TRS-80 fans willing to try to load the programs to see what they are and then post some screen shots here?

I'm no expert but I'm sure I just recently read that cassettes should be recorded to wav, not mp3 - the latter isn't lossless and that may create problems.

-Tor

If you're willing to spend a little time, you can obtain software that converts audio to binary data, loadable in emulators. For the Commodore computers, programs such as AudioTAP & WAV-PRG come to my mind, but I haven't used those for a few years so there might be better/newer/easier to use software. I agree that loseless WAV is ideal, but it just might work with MP3 if the settings and bit rate are high enough.

Of course it can be time consuming just to figure out which system it is, although often you can recognize it on the audio signal. Perhaps there is a multi tool that can identify format from audio? I never looked if there is, otherwise one would have to try one converter tool after another and see if they produce anything meaningful.

yeah, this great info. I do have a cassette setup for my ibm, but we know these won't be for ibm.
i don't have any other PCs.. i'll setup something shortly after school ends this week.

Probably the dumb question but does the teacher have any recollection of what they were?

I don't know which teacher they came from. i barely know them since my classroom is detatched from the High School.
There were a few that are retiring. They just put a bunch of things into one big box in the teacher's lounge.

Back