• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What kind of RAM connector is this?

jh1523

Experienced Member
See picture at the bottom. Double rows of 30 round pins. Is this a precursor of 30-pin SIMM connectors? Could some sort of adapter be made to use regular 30-pin SIMMs? FWIW this is a 286 clone motherboard.

$_57.JPG

Those conectors are for SIPP modules. These modules are in fact SIMMs with a row pin soldered in the contacts.

Warning: Some of these motherboards can use either DIL ('regular' type RAM chips) or SIMM/SIPP, but not have both fitted. The motherboard manual will indicate whether or not that is the case.

Believe me, it is much easier to convert regular SIMMs to SIPPs, than to solder SIMM sockets on a SIPP motherboard. In both cases you have to solder 30 pins per module (in case of installing SIMMs you also have to desolder the SIPPs - so double the work), but have in mind that the MOBOs are much more fragile than the individual SIMM modules. I have done it once by removing the pins from four 256k SIPP modules and soldering them on 1MB SIMM modules - it was easily doable and you won't risk damaging your MOBO.

I ordered some of those. They're cheap, but I had to order 24 of them to avoid Jameco's "handling" charge. :(

I wonder however if the assembly will be stable - inserting pins made for soldering into socket holes, with a heavy SIMM balanced on top...

Possible problems. I had a 286 board that used SIP memory, but a different pinout to the standard SIMMs, might be worth checking.

I finally received the connectors from Jameco, and they work really well. They're double connectors, so one fits nicely in a double SIPP connector row on the motherboard. Balancing and mechanical stability is not a problem like I had feared. For good measure I added some sticky tape reinforcement though. :)

And - no problem with the pinout, standard 1M SIMMs work well.

I did have to physically remove the DIP memory chips from the motherboard - even when configuring the switches for using the SIPP memory, the motherboard wouldn't POST if the DIP chips were left in place.

Back