• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EEVblog TRS-80 Model I teardown

Including the monitor would've been even more necessary in Australia, since the TRS-80 puts out a 60 Hz 525-line NTSC video signal, while all of their monitors and TVs were designed for the 50 Hz 625-line PAL system.

I'm not sure that it's a problem. Both my Model 1s run with bog standard composite monitors just fine. There is no difference in screen stability or appearance between them and the dedicated Model 1 monitor.

Tez

I'm not sure that it's a problem. Both my Model 1s run with bog standard composite monitors just fine. There is no difference in screen stability or appearance between them and the dedicated Model 1 monitor.

Old monitors and TVs with a manual V-Hold control can usually synchronize to either 50 or 60 Hz video, with the only consequence being that a video signal with the wrong color system (i.e. NTSC on a PAL monitor or vice-versa) will be displayed as black & white -- which is irrelevant in this case because the Model I is only B&W anyway. But modern monitors and TVs without a V-Hold adjustment usually cannot synch to a video signal using a different refresh rate (unless they are designed to be multi-system) and will display a rolling image.

Back