• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone have an extra Model II, 12 or 16 Keyboard?

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
As title says i may have access to a Model 16B bt it has no keyboard. Plus I am not even sure if the computer works. Sitting in a warehouse for god knows how long.

I have an extra Model II keyboard. It's cosmetic condition is not stunning, and it'll need a full replacement of the little foam pads inside. I've been trying to avoid the temptation to buy a Model II to go with it, but you know, the OCD…

I should also disclose that there's a Model II on eBay that's tempting me at this very moment, so the keyboard might become non-extra in the next 32 hours.

Aaaaand, the keyboard is now unavailable due to my RetrOCD.™

The question is: Will I actually get rid of my Model 12 now that it'll be bracketed by a II and a 6000? Or will I continue the binge and get a 16, too? :happy2:

I was wondering if there were such a thing as an keyboard convertor? Say take an IBM Model M and go through a small PIC and convert signals to the protocol the II,12,16,6000 can use. I am not a programmer so it is beyond me but I am pretty sure someone could do it. Like Chuck(G)!

I don't know if anybody has made that particular converter before, but it's certainly possible. Both kinds of keyboards use serial protocols; they just speak different languages.

I was planning to do just that for my keyboardless Model 12 before I later obtained an original keyboard for it. I even procured a nice Model M and a little Arduino board to do the job. I might have bought the Arduino board at Radio Shack, just on principal, if I recall correctly.

Well, now I've lost all gumption to actually go to the effort of completing that particular project, since I no longer need it myself, I have too many other projects, and I would expect the total available market for such a widget to be countable on one hand. Maybe somebody else would like to take it on?

Oh, crap… I have a PS/2 Model M, but no PS/2 computer. Crap.

NOOOO! I'm negative on both space and money! :)

And I'm also lusting for a PC/AT with an original Model F keyboard and EGA display. Dangit!

Can't use a Model F on a PC/AT. There was an 84 key variant that shipped with the 1st AT's looks very similar but has indicator lights for Caps Lock, Num Lock, and scroll. Those are worth a lot by themselves. Get a multisync instead of a EGA more versatile.

Can't use a Model F on a PC/AT. There was an 84 key variant that shipped with the 1st AT's looks very similar but has indicator lights for Caps Lock, Num Lock, and scroll. Those are worth a lot by themselves. Get a multisync instead of a EGA more versatile.

I meant the early model buckling spring over capacitive keyboard for the AT, and the push-to-turn leg knobs on the sides. Not the later Model M type keyboards. And, the look of the original EGA monitor is part of the appeal; for versatility, I'll just use this MacBook Air that I'm typing on. :)

I actually like the appearance of a 5150 or XT better, but I want the 16 bit slots on account of reasons.

I wonder if somebody might like to trade a PC AT system for my Model 12? Neither of those beasts would be cheap to ship!

Also, is there any news on the keyboardless computer you might be getting?

Nothing on the 16B yet. As for the XT look and 16 bit slots find a IBM XT/286! aka 5162 not cheap if you do find one. But a couple years back CodeMicro had just the motherboard for around $50.00! I grabbed one and it worked great. Don't think they have them anymore though.

Back