• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga 4000 and Sony Trinitron restoration with a few nice suprises

aysel

Experienced Member
After completing my A3000 restoration a few weeks ago I found myself without a project when I stumbled upon a baby poo yellow A4000 on the other bay. Listed as ‘’Commodore Amiga Selection’’ and described as ‘’everything in the picture, selling for dad’’

With no internal photos I bid on the basis it was badged 030and probably cardless with an exploded battery... I was surprised to win it, a SIX hour round trip from Mansfield to Preston and this is what I came home with.

P8017763.jpg

The really nice nice lady had found boxes of extras, a Power Computing external SCSI CD, AT bridgeboard, CD32 games, an A2090, Oktagon, CD drives, HD’s, lovely Sony CRT covered in super hero stickers, full Aminet collection, then I turned it on.... dun... dun.... duuuuuun.... it worked!

Popped the top off, 16mb ram, the original 80mb IDE HD, a GVPHC8+ II Rev 2 with 4gb drive and 8mb ram, a Toccata with a Batman sticker on(eh?!?) and hello missus, what’s this... the CPU card is a 3640!

Then I pull the cards to see what’s at the bottom of the stack and its!!!!!

P8027776.jpg

Upon seeing this I became uncontrollably excited and to my wife’s horror, put pencils up my nose and did a little robot dance in just my underpants singing Dr Hooks ‘’When you’re in love with a beautiful woman’’ by way of celebration before starting the restoration.

Everything dismantled; battery snipped off, I could see a very little leak which had caused no physical damage. Lots of contact cleaner and swabbing, dismantled and cleaned the PSU then removed all the plastics, YELLOW!

P8027801.jpg

The black drive is a Syquest 555, a removable hard drive cartridge job... not really any use to me (and the colour clash was triggering my OCD) so I removed it and dug out a blanking plate.

What followed was a 12 hour retr0brite extravaganza-thon-otron, 20+ cycles of apply, sun, wash, dry, re-apply... laborious but worked really well. The keys had no yellowing at all so I was saved the tedium of the QWERTY jigsaw! Finished off late that evening with a light misting of matt lacquer which once dry was invisible to the eye and will hopefully prevent re-yellowing.

I want the machine for WHDload games, demos, disk mags etc sothe Picasso IV is a bit overkill. Removed the Picasso IV and also the 3640 040 and installed them in myother A4000, then installed an 030 CPU card and a GVP Impact Vision 24 which has a perfect flicker fixer function for OCS/AGA video. Added a 16GB CF card and reader mounted to a rear slot so it’s accessible externally.

P8037834.jpg

With that it was just a case of cleaning up the external SCSI CD Rom, fresh install of Classic WB 3.1, copy the WHD load stuff across and.....

Attachments

• P8037861.jpg
    P8037861.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2
P8037861.jpg

P8037862.jpg

P8037857.jpg

I thought I was finished but then spotted the Sony’s screen looked a little... ermm... mottled. I had noticed it when I picked it up but assumed it just needed a clean. A little research revealed it was the anti glare coating which was damaged, probably with dodgy cleaning chemicals by the previous owner! Argh!

P8027799.jpg

I had to try and save it as I have a real love of CRTs and bar the screen this Trinitron was an absolute beaut. Dismantled and three hours of picking at the thick bonded film with a soft plastic knife and hair dryer to avoid any marks to the glass I was left with a pristine screen.

P8048072.jpg

My friend works at an indy Euronics service centre and managed to order me a replacement film which came in packsof three. When they arrived it transpired it was just as well they came in triplicate as I ruined the first two trying to stick them on before discovering the soapy water method, finally it went on absolutely perfectly.

I gave the case a good scrub whilst it was off and it now looks like new, immaculate display.... really happy with the result

P8058176.jpg

So after two days she’s done.... just going to send the board of for caps and sim slots at some point but for now managed to squeeze her at the end of the table after some monitor swapping and adding an internal CD Rom to save juggling the external.

P8058157.jpg

Seeing as the electric meter almost exploded whilst I had them all running at once to take this picture and all the fans and HD’s in the room sounded like a Harrier jump jet running on diesel I will stay away from bundles for sale threads for a month or two... saying that its Retro Revival this week !! o_0

There’s more photos of this and my other machines on my homepage at www.urbecks.com/commodore if you have five minutes of your life you never want to get back again

Very cool. The Zorro video card is nice to have, Amiga native monitors are hard to get these days.

Just a quick update, I sent the board off to Hikey as the fastmem was a bit hit and miss with detection. Came back yesterday and looks absolutely amazing, all recapped, five new simm slots wit metal clips, cleaned, CR battery install etc... she's now in tip top order, cannot recommend Hikey highly enough... look at the solder work on the underside of those new simm slots!

Before:

P8068208.jpg

P8068213.jpg

After:

P8249074.jpg

P8249075.jpg

And the same morning this A3640 also arrived from RetroAmia in Poland so she is a little more spritely now as well :D

P8238969.jpg

Just going to treat it to a matching set of 4 x 4mb simms which are winging their way from the states then.... for now... its finished :)

www.urbecks.com/commodore

Back