• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: IBM DOS 3.30 Technical Reference Disk(s)

NF6X

Veteran Member
I have an original IBM DOS 3.30 Technical Reference manual, but over the last few decades it has become separated from its floppy disk(s). I'd like to get my hands on all disks that would have come with this manual. I presume that, like the DOS 3.30 release, both 5.25" and 3.5" disks would have been included?

Unmodified, readable originals would be preferable, but copies or disk images of unmodified originals would also be helpful. I wouldn't be at all surprised if these things were already out there online somewhere, but I haven't managed to find them yet.

I did not think there were any disks that came with the Technical Reference Manuals, none of mine have them anyway. Are you sure you have that right? The Hardware Reference Manuals had the Advanced Diagnostics and/or "regular" Diagnostics disks. Of these, I don't have any Hardware Reference manuals from the DOS 3.3-era, I thought they changed to PS/2 hardware manuals. I do have one from the PS/1 though.

I am interested to learn more about this.

If it's the same copy i have it should have 2 disk's, 1 x 360KB, 5.25-inch diskette ( Utilities ) and 1 x 720KB, 3.5-inch diskette ( Utilities )

dos33.jpg

I did not think there were any disks that came with the Technical Reference Manuals, none of mine have them anyway. Are you sure you have that right?

In IBM DOS 3.30, a few programs were removed from the regular distribution and instead distributed with the technical manual:

IBM DOS 3.30 announcement said:
For DOS Version 3.30 the following programs and associated documentation have been transferred from DOS to the DOS 3.30 Technical Reference:
  • LINKER
  • EXE2BIN
  • VDISK.ASM
  • DEBUG.
The DEBUG utility is shipped with DOS 3.30 and with the Technical Reference. Its detailed command description is included in the Technical Reference.

If it's the same copy i have it should have 2 disk's, 1 x 360KB, 5.25-inch diskette ( Utilities ) and 1 x 720KB, 3.5-inch diskette ( Utilities )

View attachment 20832

Yup, that's what I'm looking for! I have the boxed manual, but it has lost its colorful wrapper and the disks. I would love to find an original in the shrinkwrap like I did for DOS 3.30 itself, but I would happily settle for .IMD files of either or both of the disks.

IIRC the copy i have was originally in shrinkwrap when i got it though i haven't tested the disk's in a long time, I'll test them later today and try and image them.

I have a disk (3.5 and 5.25 versions) that have very few files and is labeled DOS 3.30 Utilities. I suspect that this came with the Technical Reference, as it has those files on it. I have it imaged already and will contact you via PM.

Hi, did you ever get the disk(s) that came with the DOS Tech Ref manual? I'd like to have some of the stuff they had on them (especially VDISK.ASM).

Please let me know if you can help me out.

Thanks!
Mike Harmon, WB0LDJ
mharmon@att.net

Back