• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any sources left for 1581 Drives?

CanadaPhil

Experienced Member
These seem to be VERY few and far between now.

I see that there was a source for 1581 "Drive Kits" last year where you supplied your own PC 3.5" drive to complete them... But that supply appears exhausted now.

I guess patiently watching Ebay is my only option?

EDIT: Never-mind. Found what I need!
:)

Last edited:
Hello,

I will try replying again. I did already 1 day ago but it looks like that response got stuck in moderation purgatory?

I found a seller LOCAL to me.

"Kits" with working boards are exhausted. His site just has not been updated to reflect that.

I am however going to visit to pick up some other stuff from. Joe P.

Just curious but why would one buy a 1581 these days and not look at other means of storage like one of the SD card solutions? Is it just to have one because they are uncommon? I have personally looked for one myself a while ago "just to have one" but the price seems to be all over the place. What are they worth?

Just curious but why would one buy a 1581 these days and not look at other means of storage like one of the SD card solutions? Is it just to have one because they are uncommon? I have personally looked for one myself a while ago "just to have one" but the price seems to be all over the place. What are they worth?

I suppose you could also ask why anyone would pay $85,000 for an old 128K Mac because it simply had a 5.25" floppy drive?

Things are worth whatever people (for whatever reason) are willing to pay for them.

I can speak for myself when I say that anything I am looking for from "Commodore" is purely for sentimental reasons.

These seem to be VERY few and far between now.

I see that there was a source for 1581 "Drive Kits" last year where you supplied your own PC 3.5" drive to complete them... But that supply appears exhausted now.
For 9 out of the 10 CommVExes, we've raffled off a working 1581. Next year we'll raffle off another one, this time with JiffyDOS. See

http://www.commodore.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12345

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

I have 3 of them, and use them on 3 different setups.

The SD2IEC isn't as compatible as I'd like it to be (see REL files, USR files, etc). The Ultimate 1541 II chokes constantly on my 128Ds and cannot see anything besides a D64 so it's really limited space wise what I can bring over. For 2 of the systems, I have hard drives so it's a good way to backup quick files (or my BBS).

I guess what it comes down to is what you use your setup for. If it's for game playing, yeah, there's no real need to have one. But if you're coding, using GEOS/Wheels, stuff with REL or USR files or whatever, they come in handy. On my Vic-20, one disk pretty much holds the entire library ;)

Back