• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CPM file access under Windows?

cavelamb

I've built a copy of Grant Searl's Mini-80 and would like to try some CP/M stuff on it.

Since it doesn't have a native disk format, how would I go about opening and working
with old CM/P archives on my Win XP desktop?

Not clear exactly what you want to do. What format are the CP/M archives? Are they already on your XP system? How do you intend the Mini-80 to read them? Do you want to connect mini-80 to your XP system drives, or do you want to use the XP system for development of a standalone mini-80 with its own floppy drives? So many ways to skin this cat.

I like the AltairZ80 simulator for working with CP/M on a Windows platform and moving files between DOS and CP/M environments.

I like 22DISK for translating disk formats and r/w between DOS and non-DOS floppy disks.

If your archives are disk images such as IMD, then the disk layout will be preserved in the archive. Then it is a matter of establishing a boot program to configure whatever floppy drive controller you have on your Mini-80 so it can read the disks.

You may need to write a custom BIOS to suit the mini-80, if one has not already been written. BIOS.ASM is available in the archives and CP/M is very friendly to such customisation. Full documentation is available in several archives.

To load CP/M, you need a cold boot device (typically EPROM) that reads a BIOS or a chain-loader from Track 1 of a CP/M boot disk into high RAM, then jumps to RAM to complete CP/M boot.

Read up on CP/M and Z80 virtual environments - they are many and much documented.

Rick

Not sure if this might help you with what you might be trying to do, but you should take a look here:

http://www.cpm8680.com/cpmtools/index.htm

Introduction
Cpmtools is a suite of command line utilities which allow access to CP/M file systems. It is available on many platforms. This document is targetted at the use of the cpmtools Win32 executables at the Windows command prompt by Windows users who know how to use command line utilities and disk images and who may not wish to create cpmtools executables from source code... just to use them.

I don't see a "Mini-80" on his pages. I do see a 9 Chip CP/M computer...

It DOES have a disk format. But, it doesn't work by sending disk images over. What you do is extract the programs from whatever disk you want to use on his computer, and send the individual programs down through the serial port using his transfer program.

Pretty simple, really.

I think I just need to get the CP/M files so that I can handle them on the XP machine.
The Mini-80 uses an SD care for a disk, and it is formatted FAT 16.
But my files are archived - ARC type.
Just need something that can extract them. I think...

If the archive was made fairly recently, then http://freearc.org/ should provide a suitable free extraction tool for the Windows environment.

If these are very old archives made in a CP/M environment, then you might need one of the ARC utilities found on the Walnut Creek CDROM archive - compressed images are available in various places by searching.

Rick

I forgot to include the names of the files needed for .LBR & .ARC files:

nsweep205.zip (newsweep.com)
nulu15.arc (nulu15.com)

Zip files can be handled with the typical Windows/Linux Software.

.IMD, .DSK, and .DMK will require additional software to view the contents.
Post what you need, and I'll look to see if I've already done that sort of thing.

Larry

If the archive was made fairly recently, then http://freearc.org/ should provide a suitable free extraction tool for the Windows environment.

If these are very old archives made in a CP/M environment, then you might need one of the ARC utilities found on the Walnut Creek CDROM archive - compressed images are available in various places by searching.

Rick

They are kinda old, made back in the DOS days.

I couldn't remember the program names.
NewSweep and Nulu!

Yea team!

and thanks

Back