• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM CGA blow up capacitor

romanon

Veteran Member
Hi i have problem with ibm CGA card, when i pluged it for first, 10u/16V capacitor exploded. There are strange 3 pins capacitors, i have only 2 pins capacitors. I tried replace it, but maybe bad polarity causes another blow up. So i connected it contrariwise. It worked for while, but today agin exploded. Where is problem? What is correct way to connect 2 pins capacitor to 3 wholes? Thanks

Attachments

• fotka.jpg
    fotka.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 3
Hi i have problem with ibm CGA card, when i pluged it for first, 10u/16V capacitor exploded. There are strange 3 pins capacitors, i have only 2 pins capacitors. I tried replace it, but maybe bad polarity causes another blow up. So i connected it contrariwise. It worked for while, but today agin exploded. Where is problem? What is correct way to connect 2 pins capacitor to 3 wholes? Thanks
I think ground is the middle pin and the two side pins are +12V

I think ground is the middle pin and the two side pins are +12V

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/failure/failure - 3lt.htm

Have a look at that site. Note the IBM cards use the - + - layout. The reason they did this is probably to prevent people installing the capacitors backwards.

If you put the + side of your replacement capacitor into the center hole and then put the - side into one of the end holes it will work. It doesn't matter which end hole you use; both are connected to ground.

Also make sure your using fairly new replacement capacitors. Old tantalums (even ones that were never used) tend to explode.

Last edited:
Thanks! It seems to work now, i must test it for while. I am using capasitors from ona PCI graphic card, maybe 15-20 yrs old.

Thanks! It seems to work now, i must test it for while. I am using capasitors from ona PCI graphic card, maybe 15-20 yrs old.
If I don't have brand new ones at hand, I generally just leave the capacitor off - if it was able to explode without destroying anything else, then chances are it's just a filter cap.

Back